The Parliamentary Democracy of The Marians is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Prime Minister Cameron Martin with a fair hand, and remarkable for its daily referendums, keen interest in outer space, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, humorless population of 10.573 billion Marians are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
The medium-sized, corrupt, pro-business government prioritizes Law & Order, although Education, Defense, and Environment are also considered important, while Social Policy and Welfare aren't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Reedus. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 42.8%.
The frighteningly efficient The Mariansian economy, worth a remarkable 1,087 trillion Kronor a year, is quite specialized and led by the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Beef-Based Agriculture, Book Publishing, and Arms Manufacturing. Black market activity is notable. Average income is an impressive 102,872 Kronor, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 402,466 per year while the poor average 17,913, a ratio of 22.5 to 1.
Cheese has become the new icon of political dissent, consumption of cat memes has skyrocketed, the nation refuses to provide international aid, and The Marians has one of the largest offshore wind farms in the world. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. The Marians's national animal is the Python, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Siberian Shamanism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The Marians was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Godforsaken.
- : The Marians was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Godforsaken.
- : The Marians was endorsed by The Republic of Lafort.
- : The Marians was endorsed by The United Kingdom of The Rossinite Empire.
- : The Marians was endorsed by The Protectorate of Caspiatea.
- : The Marians was endorsed by The Chronosynclastic Infundibulm of Sadakoyama.
- : The Marians was endorsed by The Commonwealth of Valory.
- : The Marians was endorsed by The Grand Federation of Xentherida.
- : The Marians was endorsed by The Free Land of Apetopia.
- : The Marians was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Popular Tourist Destinations (last census: Top 5%).
Endorsements Received: 31 » Gim, Territorio di Nessuno, Tortoisica, Trombone Kingdom, Grosseschnauzer, Norvalkin, Plembobria, The Hinterland, Pauline Bonaparte, Selfgradatude, Lord Ravenclaw, Zemnaya Svoboda, Dolphis, Klausenbourg, HMS Unicorn, Razzym, Oilgarchy, Democatic Donkeys, SillyString, Ixaia, Zazumo, Dodonest, The Lost Raccoons, New Sekai, Notyoutopia, Apetopia, Xentherida, Valory, Sadakoyama, Caspiatea, and The Rossinite Empire.