The Westphalian Reich of The House of Petain is a colossal, safe nation, ruled by Emperor Michael Augustine I with an even hand, and remarkable for its sprawling nuclear power plants, daily referendums, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 9.739 billion The Houses of Petainian have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The enormous government juggles the competing demands of Education, Public Transport, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Saint Augustine. The average income tax rate is 71.4%.
The powerhouse The House of Petainian economy, worth 806 trillion Westphalian Franks a year, is led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Tourism, Cheese Exports, and Basket Weaving. Average income is 82,765 Westphalian Franks, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.3 times as much as the poorest.
Billions are being spent on a new island airport, most governmental positions are filled by zealous nationalists, birth rates have hit an all-time low, and government ministers are regularly seen in the streets confessing their sins and hammering missiles into plow-shares. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. The House of Petain's national animal is the Imperial Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its national religion is Roman Catholicism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The House of Petain was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry.
- : The House of Petain's influence in Westphalia fell from "Duckspeaker" to "Handshaker".
- : The House of Petain's influence in Westphalia fell from "Envoy" to "Duckspeaker".
- : The House of Petain's influence in Westphalia fell from "Diplomat" to "Envoy".
- : The House of Petain's influence in Westphalia fell from "Ambassador" to "Diplomat".
- : The House of Petain's influence in Westphalia fell from "Auxiliary" to "Ambassador".
- : The House of Petain's influence in Westphalia fell from "Negotiator" to "Auxiliary".
- : The House of Petain was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Influential and the Top 10% for Largest Cheese Export Sector, Most Advanced Public Transport, Most Cheerful Citizens, and Largest Populations.
- : The House of Petain was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Largest Publishing Industry (last census: Top 5%).
- : The House of Petain lodged a message on the Westphalia Regional Message Board.