The Government of The Celestial Lands is a colossal, genial nation, ruled by Channing Vanderbilt with an even hand, and notable for its museums and concert halls, smutty television, and keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, democratic population of 8.902 billion Celestians enjoy extensive civil freedoms, particularly in social issues, while business tends to be more regulated.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Defense, Environment, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Universal City. The average income tax rate is 76.9%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The strong Celestian economy, worth 445 trillion Bitcoins a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 50,090 Bitcoins, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.0 times as much as the poorest.
CDs are regularly copy-protected, residents of newly dried out bays live in fear of leaky dikes, badminton was recently banned due to 'unacceptable violence' inherent to the game, and the 'kind of scrawny' 500 meter hurdle is a popular event. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. The Celestial Lands's national animal is the Arceus, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Lunacy.
Most Recent Government Activity: 12 days ago
- 4 days ago: The Celestial Lands was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Nicest Citizens.
- 12 days ago: The Celestial Lands voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Infectious Disease Control".
- 12 days ago: The Celestial Lands fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Influential.
- 21 days ago: The Celestial Lands voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Nuclear Material Pact".
- 26 days ago: The Celestial Lands was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "Left-Leaning College State".
- 27 days ago: The Celestial Lands voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Liberate Democratia"".
- 27 days ago: The Celestial Lands was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- 28 days ago: The Celestial Lands voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Wartime Looting and Pillage".
- 32 days ago: The Celestial Lands fell out of the world Top 5% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 33 days ago: The Celestial Lands voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Nuclear Arms Possession Act"".
Endorsements Received: None.