The Hound of The Baskervilles is a gargantuan, efficient nation, renowned for its barren, inhospitable landscape, public floggings, and smutty television. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, humorless, devout population of 13.165 billion The Baskervillesians live in a state of perpetual fear, as a complete breakdown of social order has led to the rise of order through biker gangs.
There is no government in the normal sense of the word; however, a small group of community-minded, liberal, outspoken individuals prioritizes Education, with Industry also on the agenda, while Law & Order and Welfare receive no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Baskerville Hall. Income tax is unheard of.
The all-consuming The Baskervillesian economy, worth 923 trillion pounds a year, is driven entirely by the private sector, which is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Gambling industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Retail, and Information Technology. Average income is 70,180 pounds, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 313,004 per year while the poor average 9,776, a ratio of 32.0 to 1.
The Father of the House has been in office just shy of a fortnight, procrastination is a national sport, members of majority races are forced out of their homes to make way for Bigtopians, and terrified neighbors cower behind concertina wire and machine gun nests. Crime, especially youth-related, is all-pervasive, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. The Baskervilles's national animal is the hound, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity: 8 days ago
- 58 days ago: The Baskervilles was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden (last census: Top 1%).
- 89 days ago: The Baskervilles fell out of the regional Top 10% for Rudest Citizens.
- 104 days ago: The Baskervilles was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Retail Industry.
- 123 days ago: The Baskervilles was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry.
- 140 days ago: The Baskervilles was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Godforsaken.
- 141 days ago: The Baskervilles was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Gambling Industry (last census: Top 10%).
- 174 days ago: The Baskervilles fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.
- 185 days ago: The Baskervilles lodged a message on the The Featured Region Followers Regional Message Board.
- 192 days ago: The Baskervilles fell out of the regional Top 10% for Highest Drug Use.
- 207 days ago: The Baskervilles published "Why I have had to give up featured region following" (Factbook: History).