The Very Lovely Sultanate of Splang is a gargantuan, genial nation, ruled by Master of the Ordnance with a fair hand, and notable for its museums and concert halls, public floggings, and keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 21.172 billion Splangians are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The large, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Environment, Education, and Welfare. The income tax rate is 100%.
The large but stagnant Splangian economy, worth 331 trillion eyebrows a year, is driven entirely by government activity. The industrial sector is mostly comprised of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 15,671 eyebrows, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Citizens select which government department gets their income tax eyebrows each year, strategic bombers are being converted into preschools, violently opinionated speakers can be heard preaching their hateful views on every street corner, and public footpaths are being slowly eroded by the burgeoning number of ramblers. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Splang's national animal is the armadillo, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Splang was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Subsidized Industry.
- : Splang was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates (last census: Top 5%).
- : Splang fell out of the world Top 1% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- : Splang's influence in Oop North rose from "Dominator" to "Hermit".
- : Splang's influence in Oop North fell from "Hegemony" to "Dominator".
- : Splang's influence in Oop North fell from "Hermit" to "Hegemony".
- : Splang was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Inclusive.
- : Splang was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Devout.
- : Splang's influence in Oop North rose from "Minnow" to "Hermit".
- : Splang relocated from Lazarus to Oop North.