“Live and let live, but don't let the bailifs in.”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: The North Pacific
The Most Serene Republic of Spadestan is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by Leader with a fair hand, and renowned for its punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 2.731 billion, 2.728 billion of whom are zombies, Spadestanians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Commerce. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Spadestan City. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 86%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Tourism industry, followed by Book Publishing and Gambling.
Roads are often attended by round-the-clock construction crews, the airship business has been driven out of the country by strict regulations and high fines, criminals rejoice in the streets as the entire police force is sent away on a training retreat, and the government is using tax revenues to provide jobs for the poor. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Spadestan's national animal is the giraffe, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Spendme.
Spadestan is currently considering its options.
Survival Rate: 0.03%
Most Recent Government Activity: 5 days ago
- 11 hours ago: Spadestan was ravaged by a Zombie Horde from The Purple Empire of Dark_Warchief, infecting 77 million survivors.
- 23 hours ago: Spadestan was endorsed by The Empire of Anawak.
- 3 days 9 hours ago: Spadestan was endorsed by The Federal Kingdom Republic of Rukonia.
- 4 days ago: Spadestan was endorsed by The Constitutional Monarchy of Unified Wessex.
- 5 days ago: Spadestan was reclassified from "Capitalist Paradise" to "New York Times Democracy".
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, the government is using tax revenues to provide jobs for the poor.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, criminals rejoice in the streets as the entire police force is sent away on a training retreat.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, the airship business has been driven out of the country by strict regulations and high fines.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, roads are often attended by round-the-clock construction crews.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes.
Endorsements Received: 66 » Yaorozu, Groovistan, Grosseschnauzer, Oneofakynd, Anarcosyndiclic Peons, Whereisthatistan, Novare Res, Herzliyya, Pasargad, Former English Colony, Ischaemia, Andromeda Islands, Selfgradatude, Blackshear41, God n Country n Byron, Democatic Donkeys, Ermarian, Magonia, Oilgarchy, Democratic Republic of England, McMasterdonia, Ator People, Mandexia, Calamazo, Zeroxis, Nphyx, Finely Unionized Network, HMS Unicorn, Macworld, The Teddy, Olvern, Alunya, Framhaven, Kiwitaicho, Arcadiom, EretzIsrael, New Absurdistan, Eumbner, Kitabo, Assorted sucrose-based lifeforms, Abacathea, United Kingdom of Great Lionheart, Lokarth, Kevaren, Lionia, Esponnise, Austro-Hungarian federation, Varovanjov, Quasaria, Bristol C, and 16 others.Great Bights Mum, NabMex, Flutiestan, Indonesa, Conoha, Kroassant, Yakzistan, Territorio di Nessuno, Orinta, Fresley, Malvad, United Chinese Republics, Kialga-Lourti, Unified Wessex, Rukonia, and Anawak.