“Live and let live, but don't let the bailifs in.”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: The North Pacific
The Most Serene Republic of Spadestan is a gargantuan, economically powerful nation, ruled by Leader with a fair hand, and remarkable for its unlimited-speed roads. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 11.061 billion Spadestanians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Commerce. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Spadestan City. The average income tax rate is 86%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Tourism industry, followed by Book Publishing and Gambling.
Muscular women are banned from competing in sporting competitions, punitive tariffs protect local industry, skateparks can be found in every city, and most governmental positions are filled by zealous nationalists. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Spadestan's national animal is the giraffe, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Spendme.
Most Recent Government Activity: 4 days ago
- 7 hours ago: Spadestan was endorsed by The Salty Dogs of Great Bights Mum.
- 1 day 11 hours ago: Spadestan was endorsed by The Republic of Bristol C.
- 3 days 5 hours ago: Spadestan was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Most Cultured (last census: Top 5%).
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, most governmental positions are filled by zealous nationalists.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, skateparks can be found in every city.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, punitive tariffs protect local industry.
- 7 days ago: Spadestan was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "New York Times Democracy".
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, muscular women are banned from competing in sporting competitions.
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, fancy dress parties are raided by military police for new recruits.
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, people reciting Shakespeare have become a common sight.
Endorsements Received: 59 » Yaorozu, Groovistan, Grosseschnauzer, Oneofakynd, Anarcosyndiclic Peons, Whereisthatistan, Novare Res, Herzliyya, Pasargad, Former English Colony, Ischaemia, Andromeda Islands, Selfgradatude, Blackshear41, God n Country n Byron, Democatic Donkeys, Ermarian, Magonia, Oilgarchy, Democratic Republic of England, My Utopian World, McMasterdonia, Ator People, Mandexia, Fourth, Calamazo, Zeroxis, Nphyx, Finely Unionized Network, HMS Unicorn, Rukonia, Macworld, The Teddy, Olvern, Alunya, Framhaven, Kiwitaicho, EVOLUTION786, Arcadiom, EretzIsrael, New Absurdistan, Eumbner, Giancarlo, Kitabo, 007James Bond, Assorted sucrose-based lifeforms, Abacathea, United Kingdom of Great Lionheart, Lokarth, Kevaren, and 9 others.Lionia, Loneguy, Esponnise, Austro-Hungarian federation, Varovanjov, Mwaoam, Quasaria, Bristol C, and Great Bights Mum.