“Live and let live, but don't let the bailifs in.”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: The North Pacific
The Most Serene Republic of Spadestan is a gargantuan, economically powerful nation, ruled by Leader with a fair hand, and renowned for its sprawling nuclear power plants. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 11.073 billion Spadestanians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Commerce. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Spadestan City. The average income tax rate is 86%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Tourism industry, followed by Book Publishing and Gambling.
Most governmental positions are filled by zealous nationalists, a survey of the nation's rivers and children has shown that pesticide levels are at an all-time regional high, Animal Liberationists are regularly jailed, and Red Cross demand for body bags is rising while sutures go unused. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Spadestan's national animal is the giraffe, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Spendme.
Most Recent Government Activity: 12 hours ago
- 1 day 2 hours ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, Red Cross demand for body bags is rising while sutures go unused.
- 1 day 2 hours ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, Animal Liberationists are regularly jailed.
- 1 day 2 hours ago: Following new legislation in Spadestan, a survey of the nation's rivers and children has shown that pesticide levels are at an all-time regional high.
- 1 day 4 hours ago: Spadestan endorsed The Utmost Tombian Democracy of The Democratic Republic of Tomb.
- 1 day 4 hours ago: Spadestan endorsed The Salty Dogs of Great Bights Mum.
- 1 day 4 hours ago: Spadestan endorsed The Republic of Bristol C.
- 2 days 1 hour ago: Spadestan was endorsed by The Utmost Tombian Democracy of The Democratic Republic of Tomb.
- 2 days 16 hours ago: Spadestan was endorsed by The Salty Dogs of Great Bights Mum.
- 3 days 20 hours ago: Spadestan was endorsed by The Republic of Bristol C.
- 5 days ago: Spadestan was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Most Cultured (last census: Top 5%).
Endorsements Received: 60 » Yaorozu, Groovistan, Grosseschnauzer, Oneofakynd, Anarcosyndiclic Peons, Whereisthatistan, Novare Res, Herzliyya, Pasargad, Former English Colony, Ischaemia, Andromeda Islands, Selfgradatude, Blackshear41, God n Country n Byron, Democatic Donkeys, Ermarian, Magonia, Oilgarchy, Democratic Republic of England, My Utopian World, McMasterdonia, Ator People, Mandexia, Fourth, Calamazo, Zeroxis, Nphyx, Finely Unionized Network, HMS Unicorn, Rukonia, Macworld, The Teddy, Olvern, Alunya, Framhaven, Kiwitaicho, EVOLUTION786, Arcadiom, EretzIsrael, New Absurdistan, Eumbner, Giancarlo, Kitabo, 007James Bond, Assorted sucrose-based lifeforms, Abacathea, United Kingdom of Great Lionheart, Lokarth, Kevaren, and 10 others.Lionia, Loneguy, Esponnise, Austro-Hungarian federation, Varovanjov, Mwaoam, Quasaria, Bristol C, Great Bights Mum, and The Democratic Republic of Tomb.