The Ancient and Loyal Republic of South Boston Irishmen is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by President Michael Collins with an even hand, and remarkable for its compulsory military service, restrictive gun laws, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, humorless, devout population of 16.153 billion South Boston Irishmenians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Dublin City. The average income tax rate is 93.5%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but inefficient South Boston Irishmenian economy, worth 877 trillion euros a year, is quite specialized and led by the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism and Trout Farming. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 54,307 euros, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Citizens applying for their first jobs face fierce competition from the homeless, politicians are often found scavenging bins at night to supplement their income, a new generation of aquariumless hotels are being built under government supervision, and the government is giving peace a chance. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. South Boston Irishmen's national animal is the jaguar, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : South Boston Irishmen lodged a message on the United Kingdom Regional Message Board.
- : South Boston Irishmen fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Publishing Industry.
- : South Boston Irishmen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Highest Police Ratios.
- : South Boston Irishmen was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Welfare Programs (last census: Top 1%).
- : South Boston Irishmen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : South Boston Irishmen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Smartest Citizens.
- : South Boston Irishmen was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Rebellious Youth (last census: Top 5%).
- : South Boston Irishmen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Longest Average Lifespans.
- : South Boston Irishmen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Beautiful Environments.
- : South Boston Irishmen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.