“Cap the richest; tax 11.1'% top 11; 1.1'% next 100 etc.”
|Category: Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: the South Pacific
The Peopledom of Soem is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Pyt Snarkulton with an even hand, and renowned for its sprawling nuclear power plants. The compassionate population of 15.52 billion Soemeosy are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Public Transport. The average income tax rate is 70%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
Consuming ecstasy is a common rite of passage, almost half of the child population live rough on the streets, new funding allows inner city teachers to replace school laptops almost as fast as they get stolen, and anyone who so much as frowns is referred to a mental health unit. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is crippling, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Soem's national animal is the Snark, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Idea.
Most Recent Government Activity: 67 minutes ago
- 23 minutes ago: Following new legislation in Soem, anyone who so much as frowns is referred to a mental health unit.
- 1 day ago: Following new legislation in Soem, new funding allows inner city teachers to replace school laptops almost as fast as they get stolen.
- 1 day ago: Following new legislation in Soem, almost half of the child population live rough on the streets.
- 2 days ago: Soem was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "Democratic Socialists".
- 2 days ago: Following new legislation in Soem, consuming ecstasy is a common rite of passage.
- 2 days ago: Following new legislation in Soem, parents live in fear of governmental 'child protection' squads.
- 2 days ago: Following new legislation in Soem, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller.
- 2 days ago: Following new legislation in Soem, the government has adopted a more thrifty attitude to administrating the country's needs.
- 2 days ago: Following new legislation in Soem, businesses that prove successful are immediately broken up.
- 2 days 7 hours ago: Soem voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Liberate The International Communist Union"".
Endorsements Received: 43 » Fudgetopia, Bergenu, Gauthier, Curlyhoward, Zakanda, Yeses, Darakin, Lakarian, Theorin, Lord Booze, Kholdan, Armed Republic of Guns Addicts, Vulkanus, Rockchester, Dovanet, Bear Connors Paradiso, Sierra Lobo, The Bloodguard, Kringalia, Kien Truong, Brutland and Norden, Tsunamy, Kiasu-ism, Cape Adare, SHAYTAN UKHIROSS, TorchWood 18, Auxha, Karatengisa, Drugged Monkeys, Aschenburg, Sandaoguo, Edgardian Empire, TSP-Aramanchovia, The Sanghelios Legion, PenguinPies, Haldilwe, The Solar System Scope, Faircliff, Myganon, Caasd, Creepypastian, Capricanta, and Smogaria.