“Cap the richest; tax 11.1'% top 11; 1.1'% next 100 etc.”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: the South Pacific
The Peopledom of Soem is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Peyt Snarkleton with an even hand, and notable for its national health service. The compassionate population of 15.263 billion Soemians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Public Transport. The average income tax rate is 67%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
Soem is notorious for its citizens' infidelity, vitriolic divorce proceedings have become prime-time television, residents of newly dried out bays live in fear of leaky dikes, and armed police units patrol the roads late at night. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is crippling. Soem's national animal is the Snark, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Idea.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 14 hours ago
- 1 day 13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, armed police units patrol the roads late at night.
- 1 day 13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, residents of newly dried out bays live in fear of leaky dikes.
- 1 day 23 hours ago: Soem was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Smartest Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 2 days 13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, vitriolic divorce proceedings have become prime-time television.
- 2 days 13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, Soem is notorious for its citizens' infidelity.
- 2 days 13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, Soem's airwaves are dominated by corporate-backed commercial radio.
- 2 days 13 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, crime is on the rise as DNA sampling has been all but outlawed.
- 5 days ago: Soem was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Average (last census: Top 10%).
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Soem, surrealist houses shaped like mushrooms and volcanoes dominate the wealthiest neighborhoods.
- 5 days ago: Following new legislation in Soem, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes.
Endorsements Received: 43 » Fudgetopia, Bergenu, Gauthier, Curlyhoward, Zakanda, Yeses, Darakin, Lakarian, Theorin, Lord Booze, Kholdan, Armed Republic of Guns Addicts, South Pacific Belschaft, Vulkanus, Rockchester, Dovanet, Bear Connors Paradiso, Sierra Lobo, The Bloodguard, Kringalia, Kien Truong, Rebel-topia of the South Pacific, Brutland and Norden, Tsunamy, Kiasu-ism, Cape Adare, SHAYTAN UKHIROSS, TorchWood 18, Auxha, Karatengisa, Drugged Monkeys, Aschenburg, Sandaoguo, Imperator Zhodo, Edgardian Empire, TSP-Aramanchovia, The Sanghelios Legion, PenguinPies, Haranj, Haldilwe, The Solar System Scope, Faircliff, and Myganon.