“Cap the rich assitax 11.1'% top 11; 1.1'% next 100 etc.”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: the South Pacific
The Peopledom of Soem is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Peyt Snarkleton with a fair hand, and renowned for its anti-smoking policies. Its compassionate, hard-working, intelligent population of 14.108 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and the Environment. The average income tax rate is 67%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
Heavy industry must go to expensive lengths to dispose of waste, urban high-volume mailers now receive their mail via chauffeur-driven limousines, ethnic minorities are often refused admission to some of the nation's best schools, and Members of Parliament operate under a PAYE scheme. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is crippling, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Soem's national animal is the Snark, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Idea.
Most Recent Government Activity: 2 days 23 hours ago
- 1 day 3 hours ago: Soem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Best Weather.
- 2 days 17 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, Members of Parliament operate under a PAYE scheme.
- 2 days 17 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, ethnic minorities are often refused admission to some of the nation's best schools.
- 2 days 21 hours ago: Soem was endorsed by The Holy Empire of Church Hills.
- 2 days 23 hours ago: Soem endorsed The Republic of Patagonya.
- 3 days 9 hours ago: Soem was endorsed by The Republic of Patagonya.
- 3 days 17 hours ago: Soem was reclassified from "Civil Rights Lovefest" to "New York Times Democracy".
- 3 days 17 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, urban high-volume mailers now receive their mail via chauffeur-driven limousines.
- 3 days 17 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, heavy industry must go to expensive lengths to dispose of waste.
- 3 days 17 hours ago: Following new legislation in Soem, the government seizes all major gold finds.
Endorsements Received: 59 » Fudgetopia, Bergenu, Gauthier, Curlyhoward, Zakanda, Starhunter, Pamela And Hepatitis, Yeses, Darakin, Lakarian, Theorin, Lord Booze, Brittany the Great, Kholdan, Armed Republic of Guns Addicts, Unionized America, Jukenia, South Pacific Belschaft, Michu, Aramanchovia, Vulkanus, Rockchester, Dovanet, El Moriyana, Bear Connors Paradiso, Sierra Lobo, The Bloodguard, Kringalia, Azuremyst Glades, Escade, Kien Truong, Rebel-topia of the South Pacific, Brutland and Norden, Tsunamy, Kiasu-ism, Cape Adare, Iyadara, SHAYTAN UKHIROSS, Sherlockopia, TorchWood 18, Australian Aboriginal States, The Zhukov Regime, Akiroslobaquia, Auxha, Karatengisa, ErinMcMahon, Drugged Monkeys, The HEM, QuietDad, Aschenburg, and 9 others.Despicably Devious Defiant Kooky Koopers, Aden Protectorate, GoldenGloss, Axelzuera, Pillaganburnistan, Alv, Kandoo, Farenhein, and Church Hills.