“Knowledge is Power, Power is Corruption”
|Category: Corrupt Dictatorship|
Regional Influence: Eminence Grise
Location: The League of United Nations
The Sultanate of Silea is a massive, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Tazan II with an iron fist, and remarkable for its prohibition of alcohol. Its hard-nosed, cynical population of 2.159 billion are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Commerce and the Environment are secondary priorities. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Zeppelin. The average income tax rate is 73%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Tourism industry, followed by Information Technology and Door-to-door Insurance Sales.
The nation's diplomatic missives are now delivered via sniper rifle, punitive tariffs protect local industry, religious education is a new government priority, and the government snoops on private internet connections. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown. Silea's national animal is the Beaver, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Islam, and its currency is the Monos.
Most Recent Government Activity: 13 days ago
- 10 days ago: Silea fell out of the world Top 10% for Happiest Citizens.
- 11 days ago: Silea was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Fastest-Growing Economies.
- 11 days ago: Silea fell out of the regional Top 10% for Fastest-Growing Economies.
- 15 days ago: Silea was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Cultured (last census: Top 10%).
- 15 days ago: Silea was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Cultured.
- 19 days ago: Silea was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- 25 days ago: Silea fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Public Sector.
- 32 days ago: Silea fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Welfare Programs.
- 34 days ago: Following new legislation in Silea, the government snoops on private internet connections.
- 34 days ago: Silea voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Stopping Suicide Seeds".
Endorsements Received: 1 (The United States of Emenia)