The Lost Island of Shining Ys is a massive, socially progressive nation, ruled by Queen Dahut with a fair hand, and renowned for its daily referendums, enforced nudity, and hatred of cheese. The compassionate, democratic population of 3.813 billion Shining Ysians hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The large government juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Policy, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ys. The average income tax rate is 97.9%.
The Shining Ysian economy, worth 354 trillion Lucky Silver Marks a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector is mostly comprised of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 92,926 Lucky Silver Marks, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The recently unemployed can often be seen at the local homeless shelter, military funding has been stripped back, the government is promoting multicultural values with the new 'Just Be Nice, OK?' initiative, and Shining Ysian athletes are close to breaking the 2 minute mile and the 16 meter long jump. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Shining Ys's national animal is the impossible bird, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Shining Ys was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Shining Ys was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Shining Ys was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Cultured and Least Corrupt Governments and the Top 10% for Highest Poor Incomes.
- : Shining Ys's influence in Lazarus rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Shining Ys was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Inclusive.
- : Shining Ys's influence in Lazarus rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Shining Ys was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Compassionate Citizens, Nudest, and Most Pacifist and the Top 5% for Most Beautiful Environments and Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- : Following new legislation in Shining Ys, Shining Ysian athletes are close to breaking the 2 minute mile and the 16 meter long jump.
- : Shining Ys was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Civil Rights Lovefest".
- : Shining Ys altered its national flag.