“Workers of the World, Unite!”
|Category: Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: the Pacific
The United Socialist States of Sheradia is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by President Thomas Richmond with an even hand, and remarkable for its frequent executions, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and museums and concert halls. The compassionate, democratic population of 12.081 billion Sheradians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Free Haven. The average income tax rate is 98.8%.
The large but sluggish Sheradian economy, worth 560 trillion florins a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 46,361 florins, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The government is using tax revenues to provide jobs for the poor, violently opinionated speakers can be heard preaching their hateful views on every street corner, the arms industry is strictly regulated, and morning coffees are no longer the same since the disappearance of newspapers. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Sheradia's national animal is the Teddy Bear, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 19 hours ago
- 1 day 17 hours ago: Sheradia was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "Democratic Socialists".
- 1 day 17 hours ago: Following new legislation in Sheradia, morning coffees are no longer the same since the disappearance of newspapers.
- 1 day 17 hours ago: Following new legislation in Sheradia, the arms industry is strictly regulated.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Sheradia, violently opinionated speakers can be heard preaching their hateful views on every street corner.
- 6 days ago: Sheradia was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Largest Public Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- 10 days ago: Following new legislation in Sheradia, the government is using tax revenues to provide jobs for the poor.
- 10 days ago: Following new legislation in Sheradia, a National Academy regulates grammar and usage.
- 10 days ago: Following new legislation in Sheradia, the government extracts trade concessions from poor nations in exchange for humanitarian aid.
- 19 days ago: Sheradia fell out of the world Top 10% for Nudest.
- 32 days ago: Following new legislation in Sheradia, students are known to arrive at school in their pyjamas.