|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: The United League
The Democratic Republic of Shaw State is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by Robert Mendoven with a fair hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 1.969 billion love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is effectively ruled by the Department of Education, with areas such as Religion & Spirituality and Commerce receiving almost no funds by comparison. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Shaw State City. The average income tax rate is 59%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
The judicial branch is strongly influenced by major corporations, truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news, there's a shortage of swinging hot spots as land development grinds to a halt, and refugees from other nations are flocking to Shaw State's border. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Shaw State's national animal is the stag, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, its national religion is Christianity, and its currency is the dollar.
Most Recent Government Activity: 4 hours ago
- 1 day 2 hours ago: Shaw State endorsed The Kingdom of Witharen.
- 1 day 2 hours ago: Shaw State endorsed The Principality of Schlomoga.
- 1 day 2 hours ago: Shaw State endorsed The United Federation of Villeron.
- 1 day 2 hours ago: Shaw State relocated from Shakespeare to The United League.
- 1 day 6 hours ago: Following new legislation in Shaw State, refugees from other nations are flocking to Shaw State's border.
- 1 day 19 hours ago: Shaw State relocated from Chess to Shakespeare.
- 1 day 19 hours ago: Shaw State voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Chemical Weapons Convention".
- 3 days 15 hours ago: Shaw State voted for the World Assembly Resolution "On the Declaration of War".
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Shaw State, there's a shortage of swinging hot spots as land development grinds to a halt.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Shaw State, truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news.
Endorsements Received: None.