The New Republic of Segennea is a massive, genial nation, ruled by Premier Daniela Nicholson with an even hand, and remarkable for its public floggings, strictly enforced bedtime, and hatred of cheese. The compassionate, cheerful population of 4.561 billion Segenns are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Social Policy. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Arvida. The average income tax rate is 91.6%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Segenn economy, worth 26.4 trillion Segenn pieces a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 5,781 Segenn pieces, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Droves of former desperados are applying to join the border police, the government has instituted 'traveller reservations' across the country, military funding has been stripped back, and high-income earners pay a 100% tax rate. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Segennea's national animal is the Great Horned Owl, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its national religion is Presbyterianism.
Segennea is ranked 4th in Emerson Bay and 141,249th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates, scoring -68 on the Workforce Participation Versus Theoretical Maximum Metric.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Segennea, high-income earners pay a 100% tax rate.
- : Following new legislation in Segennea, military funding has been stripped back.
- : Segennea voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Nuclear Material Safeguards".
- : Following new legislation in Segennea, the government has instituted 'traveller reservations' across the country.
- : Following new legislation in Segennea, droves of former desperados are applying to join the border police.
- : Following new legislation in Segennea, voting is voluntary.
- : Segennea was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Public Transport Department (last census: Top 5%).
- : Following new legislation in Segennea, Segennea's schoolchildren are manufactured into a segregated bunch of soldiers, religious zealots, and computer technicians.
- : Following new legislation in Segennea, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes.
- : Segennea's influence in Emerson Bay fell from "Dominator" to "Superpower".