The Monarchical Republic of Sciongrad is a colossal, socially progressive nation, ruled by Iolanda Serra de Nazaré with an even hand, and notable for its museums and concert halls, lack of airports, and keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 8.951 billion Scionites are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The large, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Social Policy. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Leiria. The average income tax rate is 93.8%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The very strong Scionite economy, worth 840 trillion Escudoes a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector is mostly comprised of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 93,857 Escudoes, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Betting pennies on games of Go Fish is considered deviant, former arsonists can be found on local fire brigades, groups of government workers are declared protected tribes if they venture too deep into the Capitol, and every citizen must submit to DNA testing to be eliminated from police inquiries. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Sciongrad's national animal is the Rooster, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Cult of the Clove.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Sciongrad endorsed The Pristine Utopian Republic of Losthaven.
- : Following new legislation in Sciongrad, every citizen must submit to DNA testing to be eliminated from police inquiries.
- : Following new legislation in Sciongrad, groups of government workers are declared protected tribes if they venture too deep into the Capitol.
- : Following new legislation in Sciongrad, former arsonists can be found on local fire brigades.
- : Sciongrad's influence in International Democratic Union rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Powerbroker".
- : Following new legislation in Sciongrad, betting pennies on games of Go Fish is considered deviant.
- : Following new legislation in Sciongrad, people are now classified as male, female, or genderqueer.
- : Sciongrad lodged a message on the International Democratic Union Regional Message Board.
- : Sciongrad updated the World Factbook entry in International Democratic Union.
- : Sciongrad rejected a request from Tikun Olam for an embassy with International Democratic Union.
Endorsements Received: 14 » Malabra, Bears Armed Mission, Lumeau, Trive 39, Zemanlandia, Arthuriana, The Coalition of Canadian Remnants, Gnejs, Sainterre, Festive Old Folks, Ascosia, GAMECOCK NATIONAL, Commoncause, and Nova Sodor.