“In Scion, we trust.”
|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Eminence Grise
Location: International Democratic Union
The Lusophonic Disappointment of Sciongrad is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with a fair hand, and renowned for its hatred of cheese. The compassionate, democratic population of 6.24 billion Scionites love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The medium-sized, socially-minded, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Social Policy. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Villa Real. The average income tax rate is 77.2%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but inefficient Scionite economy, worth 301 trillion Shields a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector is mostly comprised of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 48,341 Shields, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Students are wary of colorfully decorated new teachers with names like Professor Pipsqueak, radio shows frequently feature people denouncing religion, the Elk is a protected species, and recent protests against birds flying too low have resulted in bloodshed. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Sciongrad's national animal is the Elk, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Cult of the Clove.
Sciongrad is ranked 3rd in International Democratic Union and 2,009th in the world for Most Beautiful Environments, with 1,360.35 Pounds of Wildlife less Pounds of Concrete per square mile.
Most Recent Government Activity: 9 days ago
- 1 day 15 hours ago: Sciongrad fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Public Sector.
- 1 day 15 hours ago: Sciongrad was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Public Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- 9 days ago: Sciongrad voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Ban on Double Taxation".
- 10 days ago: Sciongrad was endorsed by The Empire of Grellania.
- 10 days ago: Sciongrad was endorsed by The People's Republic of Toumba.
- 14 days ago: Sciongrad fell out of the regional Top 10% for Nudest.
- 15 days ago: Sciongrad was endorsed by The Ribald Retirement Villages of Festive Old Folks.
- 18 days ago: Sciongrad was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Cultured.
- 19 days ago: Sciongrad was endorsed by The Nomadic Peoples of Losthaven.
- 21 days ago: Sciongrad was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Pacifist (last census: Top 5%).