“In Scion, we trust.”
|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Eminence Grise
Location: International Democratic Union
The Lusophonic Disappointment of Sciongrad is a colossal, genial nation, ruled by Leader with a fair hand, and remarkable for its complete lack of prisons. The compassionate, intelligent population of 5.456 billion Scionites love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, the Environment, and Social Equality. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Villa Real. The average income tax rate is 94%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
Students are wary of colorfully decorated new teachers with names like Professor Pipsqueak, radio shows frequently feature people denouncing religion, the Elk is a protected species, and recent protests against birds flying too low have resulted in bloodshed. Crime is totally unknown. Sciongrad's national animal is the Elk, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, its national religion is Cult of the Clove, and its currency is the Shield.
Most Recent Government Activity: 12 minutes ago
- 5 days ago: Sciongrad was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Dedicated Public Healthcare.
- 8 days ago: Sciongrad voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Improving Wordiness".
- 10 days ago: Sciongrad fell out of the regional Top 10% for Nudest.
- 11 days ago: Sciongrad voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Individual Working Freedoms".
- 13 days ago: Following new legislation in Sciongrad, recent protests against birds flying too low have resulted in bloodshed.
- 13 days ago: Following new legislation in Sciongrad, the Elk is a protected species.
- 13 days ago: Following new legislation in Sciongrad, radio shows frequently feature people denouncing religion.
- 13 days ago: Following new legislation in Sciongrad, students are wary of colorfully decorated new teachers with names like Professor Pipsqueak.
- 18 days ago: Sciongrad was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Least Corrupt Governments (last census: Top 10%).
- 19 days ago: Following new legislation in Sciongrad, Leader has just been declared ruler of Sciongrad in an international press conference.