The Globex Central Corporation of Scanlon Industries is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by Hank Scorpio with an iron fist, and notable for its sprawling nuclear power plants, keen interest in outer space, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 10.009 billion Scanlon Industriesians are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.
The large, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Kahlenberg. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 83.7%.
The frighteningly efficient Scanlon Industriesian economy, worth a remarkable 1,370 trillion Dollars a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Uranium Mining, Information Technology, and Woodchip Exports. Average income is an impressive 136,952 Dollars, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 396,627 per year while the poor average 37,474, a ratio of 10.6 to 1.
Morning coffees are no longer the same since the disappearance of newspapers, the government is avowedly atheist, pristine wilderness has been trashed in the quest for cheaper oil, and manual labourers must be willing to have cybernetic limbs to get a job. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Scanlon Industries's national animal is the Eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its national religion is Undefined.
Most Recent Government Activity: 33 days ago
- 5 days ago: Scanlon Industries was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Devout.
- 20 days ago: Scanlon Industries was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Dedicated Public Healthcare (last census: Top 10%).
- 28 days ago: Scanlon Industries fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Insurance Industry.
- 37 days ago: Scanlon Industries lodged a message on the Lazarus Regional Message Board.
- 37 days ago: Scanlon Industries altered its national flag.
- 37 days ago: Scanlon Industries relocated from Balder to Lazarus.
- 47 days ago: Scanlon Industries fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Information Technology Sector.
- 55 days ago: Scanlon Industries was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Smartest Citizens.
- 61 days ago: Scanlon Industries was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector (last census: Top 10%).
- 62 days ago: Scanlon Industries was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Information Technology Sector.