“In cake we trust”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Confederacy of Saundie is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Dr Cakeston with a fair hand, and remarkable for its anti-smoking policies. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 11.998 billion Saundieans enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of the Environment, Defence, and Education. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Cakeston. The average income tax rate is 67%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Tourism industry.
Citizens can be frequently spotted going about their business stark naked, torture is illegal, elevator music has been replaced by thrash metal played at maximum volume, and consumption of cat memes has skyrocketed. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Saundie's national animal is the cheesecake, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the cheesecake.
Most Recent Government Activity: 20 hours ago
- 16 hours ago: Following new legislation in Saundie, consumption of cat memes has skyrocketed.
- 2 days 16 hours ago: Following new legislation in Saundie, elevator music has been replaced by thrash metal played at maximum volume.
- 5 days ago: Saundie was endorsed by The Republic of Aenea.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Saundie, torture is illegal.
- 6 days ago: Following new legislation in Saundie, citizens can be frequently spotted going about their business stark naked.
- 6 days ago: Saundie was endorsed by The Democratic Republic of Boxica.
- 7 days ago: Saundie was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Developed.
- 8 days ago: Saundie fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Politically Free.
- 9 days ago: Following new legislation in Saundie, citizens who become homeless are immediately executed.
- 9 days ago: Following new legislation in Saundie, same-sex marriages are increasingly common.