The Queen's State of Saola is a gargantuan, orderly nation, remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, punitive income tax rates, and stringent health and safety legislation. The cynical, humorless population of 10.994 billion Saolans are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The enormous, moralistic, socially-minded, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Education, and Industry. The average income tax rate is 64.8%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Saolan economy, worth 69.7 trillion betales a year, is highly specialized and led by the Uranium Mining industry, with significant contributions from Woodchip Exports, Basket Weaving, and Arms Manufacturing. Black market activity is extensive. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 6,342 betales, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Citizens receive notices of disenfranchisement along with their parking tickets, graffiti artists spend lengthy periods of time in jail, all citizens are solely referenced by their allocated identity number, and Saola is notorious for its citizens' infidelity. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Saola's national animal is the deer, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is none.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Saola was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Saola's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Saola was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Income Equality and Most Authoritarian, the Top 5% for Nudest and Most Extreme, and the Top 10% for Largest Populations.
- : Saola was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Authoritarian (last census: Top 5%).
- : Saola was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Compassionate Citizens.
- : Saola fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Conservative.
- : Saola was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Conservative.
- : Saola was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Shortest Average Lifespan.
- : Saola was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Authoritarian (last census: Top 1%).
- : Saola was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Authoritarian.