“Dura Lex Sed Lex”
|Category: Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Instigator
Location: International Democratic Union
The Divine Republic of Sanctaria is a gargantuan, economically powerful nation, ruled by Prime Minister Mark Kindle with an even hand, and notable for its restrictive gun laws. The compassionate, intelligent population of 11.584 billion Sanctarians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Welfare, and Law & Order. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Sanctus. The average income tax rate is 91%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
The government is promoting multicultural values with the new 'Just Be Nice, OK?' initiative, door-to-door salesmen are frequently beaten up by 'vigilantes', a flood of mandatory divorces burden the courts, and punitive tariffs protect local industry. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Sanctaria's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, its national religion is Catholicism, and its currency is the pound.
Most Recent Government Activity: 2 hours ago
- 7 days ago: Sanctaria fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Developed.
- 7 days ago: Sanctaria fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Developed.
- 21 days ago: Sanctaria fell out of the world Top 5% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 21 days ago: Sanctaria fell out of the regional Top 5% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 32 days ago: Sanctaria was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Welfare Programs (last census: Top 5%).
- 54 days ago: Sanctaria was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Highest Police Ratios (last census: Top 10%).
- 60 days ago: Sanctaria lodged a message on the International Democratic Union Regional Message Board.
- 69 days ago: Sanctaria fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Compassionate Citizens.
- 82 days ago: Sanctaria was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Income Equality.
- 87 days ago: Sanctaria's influence in International Democratic Union fell from "Dealmaker" to "Instigator".