The Grand Duchy of San Monteriano is a colossal, socially progressive nation, ruled by Caterina I with a fair hand, and notable for its ban on automobiles, smutty television, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic population of 9.989 billion San Monteriani are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The large, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of San Monteriano. The average income tax rate is 50.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but underdeveloped San Monteriani economy, worth 375 trillion lozenges a year, is fairly diversified and led by the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Trout Farming, Information Technology, and Basket Weaving. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 37,603 lozenges, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.5 times as much as the poorest.
Anti-government political posters adorn every building like wallpaper, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, discarded pennies litter the streets, and coalition governments are essential to passing new laws. Crime is totally unknown. San Monteriano's national animal is the eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : San Monteriano fell out of the world Top 10% for Happiest Citizens.
- : San Monteriano was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Populations.
- : San Monteriano was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Politically Free.
- : San Monteriano fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Welfare Programs.
- : San Monteriano was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Trout Fishing Sector.
- : San Monteriano fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Publishing Industry.
- : San Monteriano was refounded in Balder.
- : San Monteriano ceased to exist.
- : San Monteriano was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Welfare Programs.
- : San Monteriano lodged a message on the The Commonwealth of Crowns Regional Message Board.