|Category: Father Knows Best State|
Regional Influence: Handshaker
The Autocracy of Saliba is a gargantuan, cultured nation, renowned for its devotion to social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 20.559 billion are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is mainly concerned with Law & Order, although Education and the Environment are on the agenda. The average income tax rate is 96%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Gambling.
The government seizes private property for the 'good of the people', popular political cartoonists are thrown in jail for inciting dissent, the SBI Channel Tunnel project is plagued by delays, and referenda are banned by law and the Parliament has absolute control of the legislative process. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Saliba's national animal is the toucan, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the gold nugget.
Most Recent Government Activity: 7 days ago
- 3 days 17 hours ago: Saliba was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Safest (last census: Top 1%).
- 10 days ago: Saliba fell out of the world Top 10% for Happiest Citizens.
- 19 days ago: Saliba was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- 24 days ago: Following new legislation in Saliba, referenda are banned by law and the Parliament has absolute control of the legislative process.
- 27 days ago: Saliba fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- 40 days ago: Saliba was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Happiest Citizens.
- 49 days ago: Saliba was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Safest (last census: Top 5%).
- 50 days ago: Saliba was endorsed by The Nomadic Peoples of Ferrell.
- 62 days ago: Saliba was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "Father Knows Best State".
- 77 days ago: Saliba was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 5%).