The Feminine Feline Colony of Salems Den is a gargantuan, efficient nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, strictly enforced bedtime, and compulsory military service. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 18.468 billion Shadows are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The tiny, pro-business government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Industry. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.8%.
The frighteningly efficient a Shadow economy, worth a remarkable 1,826 trillion Claws a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Automobile Manufacturing, Gambling, and Uranium Mining. Average income is 98,923 Claws, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 565,641 per year while the poor average 8,366, a ratio of 67.6 to 1.
Hundreds of thousands of convicts work as slaves in Salems Den's many privately-owned prisons, teenage fathers are forced to join the army, pristine wilderness has been trashed in the quest for cheaper oil, and the Black Panther is believed to be extinct. Crime, especially youth-related, is almost non-existent, thanks to a well-funded police force. Salems Den's national animal is the Black Panther, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Greatest Rich-Poor Divides.
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Mining Sector.
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Basket Weaving Sector.
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Retail Industry.
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Extreme.
- : Salems Den fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Information Technology Sector.
- : Salems Den fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Mining Sector.
- : Salems Den fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Gambling Industry.
- : Salems Den's influence in Cat Burglars rose from "Duckspeaker" to "Envoy".
- : Salems Den fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Agricultural Sector.