“Work! Think! Choose!”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
Location: The North Pacific
The People's Republic of Saarund is a massive, socially progressive nation, ruled by Chairman Gidsson with a fair hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 3.509 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Commerce and Healthcare are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Brykkær. The average income tax rate is 84%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.
The government seeks peaceful forum with terrorists, a new generation of aquariumless hotels are being built under government supervision, ethnic minorities are often refused admission to some of the nation's best schools, and marijuana is legal in the privacy of your own home. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Saarund's national animal is the white tiger, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the venyr.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 8 hours ago
- 10 hours ago: Saarund was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Eco-Friendly Governments (last census: Top 5%).
- 1 day ago: Following new legislation in Saarund, marijuana is legal in the privacy of your own home.
- 1 day ago: Following new legislation in Saarund, ethnic minorities are often refused admission to some of the nation's best schools.
- 1 day ago: Following new legislation in Saarund, a new generation of aquariumless hotels are being built under government supervision.
- 1 day 7 hours ago: Saarund voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Chemical Weapons Convention".
- 1 day 7 hours ago: Saarund voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Condemn Jakker".
- 3 days ago: Following new legislation in Saarund, the government seeks peaceful forum with terrorists.
- 3 days 2 hours ago: Saarund was endorsed by The Borderlands of Iwin.
- 3 days 12 hours ago: Following new legislation in Saarund, the government has started a campaign to crack down on road rage and encourage alternate means of commuting.
- 3 days 12 hours ago: Following new legislation in Saarund, almost all of Saarund's water is piped into the country from abroad for exorbitant prices.
Endorsements Received: 41 (Yaorozu, Blackshear41, Grosseschnauzer, Laibach, Groovistan, Andromeda Islands, Selfgradatude, Blue Wolf II, Whereisthatistan, Novare Res, Former English Colony, Pasargad, Great Bights Mum, Herzliyya, Enif, Ischaemia, Everywheristan, God n Country n Byron, Democatic Donkeys, Kanelands, Zemnaya Svoboda, Ator People, Scotstan, TheImpaler, -Utopia-, Eumbner, Dahakistan, Mariensbergian Principality, The Exile within, Jamie Anumia, Esponnise, My Utopian World, Jeiji, FleurDelacour, Avalon, Love Song, United Province of America, General COE, Kiwitaicho, McMasterdonia, Iwin)