The Mother Empire of Retro Lyra is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by Rodrick Jones with a fair hand, and notable for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, daily referendums, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 7.499 billion Retro Lyrans love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, outspoken government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Social Policy. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Hollo Caverns. The average income tax rate is 92.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but stagnant Retro Lyran economy, worth 44.3 trillion Zeldian Rupees a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector is solely comprised of the Book Publishing industry. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 5,911 Zeldian Rupees, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Nude art is becoming wildly popular, people are moving into treehouses in record numbers, dog breeding has been banned in accordance with recent animal experimentation laws, and the undead are an officially recognised ethnic minority (Retro Lyra has found 1 easter egg). Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Retro Lyra's national animal is the llama with hats, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Retro Lyra's influence in The Empire of Friendship fell from "Powerbroker" to "Eminence Grise".
- : Retro Lyra's influence in The Empire of Friendship rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Powerbroker".
- : Retro Lyra lodged a message on the The Empire of Friendship Regional Message Board.
- : Retro Lyra appointed The Anti-Nightmare Insurgency of Lt Callahan as The Steamroller with authority over Appearance, Border Control, Communications, Embassies, and Polls in The Empire of Friendship.
- : Retro Lyra instituted Lockdown Zombie Border Control in The Empire of Friendship.
- : The Source of Yerushalayim was struck by a Cure Missile from Retro Lyra, curing 34 million infected.
- : The Source of Yerushalayim was struck by a Cure Missile from Retro Lyra, curing 35 million infected.
- : The Source of Yerushalayim was struck by a Cure Missile from Retro Lyra, curing 63 million infected.
- : The Source of Yerushalayim was struck by a Cure Missile from Retro Lyra, curing 49 million infected.
- : Retro Lyra agreed to construct embassies between The Empire of Friendship and The Savage Garden.