|Category: Psychotic Dictatorship|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Republic of Poplar Grove is a colossal, safe nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 5.73 billion are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, moralistic, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and the Environment. The average income tax rate is 66%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
The government awards prizes to television shows featuring stereotype-breaking minority roles, Presbyterian has been named as Poplar Grove's national religion, the government is cutting back on the number of political prisoners executed each year, and the deer is a protected species. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Poplar Grove's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, its national religion is Presbyterian, and its currency is the dollar.
Most Recent Government Activity: 5 days ago
- 9 hours ago: Poplar Grove was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Extreme (last census: Top 1%).
- 10 hours ago: Poplar Grove fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Extreme.
- 1 day 10 hours ago: Poplar Grove was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- 6 days ago: Poplar Grove was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Welfare Programs.
- 14 days ago: Poplar Grove was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Happiest Citizens.
- 22 days ago: Poplar Grove was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Income Equality.
- 24 days ago: Poplar Grove was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Lowest Crime Rates.
- 25 days ago: Poplar Grove was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Dedicated Public Healthcare.
- 27 days ago: Poplar Grove changed its national faith to "Presbyterian".
- 27 days ago: Following new legislation in Poplar Grove, the deer is a protected species.