The Democratic People's Republic of Pochinco is a colossal, orderly nation, ruled by Chairman Palaiologos with an iron fist, and remarkable for its sprawling nuclear power plants, keen interest in outer space, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, cynical, humorless population of 6.443 billion Pochincans are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt morass — prioritizes Defense, with Education, Healthcare, and Public Transport also on the agenda. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Komenostaniopolis. The average income tax rate is 97.7%.
The large but underdeveloped Pochincoan economy, worth 376 trillion Pochincan Drakhmas a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 58,430 Pochincan Drakhmas, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The military patrols the streets in search of possible secessionists, drowning sailors are hung out to dry, the police have been swamped with requests to stay up past bedtime, and discarded pennies litter the streets. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown. Pochinco's national animal is the Double Headed Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its national religion is Pochincan Heterodoxy.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Pochinco was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates (last census: Top 5%).
- : Pochinco fell out of the regional Top 10% for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Pochinco endorsed The Federation of Amandil.
- : Pochinco was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- : Pochinco was endorsed by The Federation of Amandil.
- : Pochinco was endorsed by The Gigantic Frozen Igloo of Studly Penguins.
- : Pochinco was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Safest (last census: Top 5%).
- : Pochinco fell out of the regional Top 10% for Safest.
- : Pochinco's influence in Texas rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Following new legislation in Pochinco, discarded pennies litter the streets.