The Megacorporation of Phelanus is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by the Board of Directors with an even hand, and notable for its strictly enforced bedtime, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and sprawling nuclear power plants. The hard-nosed, hard-working, humorless population of 6.148 billion Phelanusians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The minute, corrupt, pro-business government, or what there is of one, is primarily concerned with Education, although Law & Order, Healthcare, and Industry are also considered important, while Social Policy and Welfare receive no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Phelanis Alpha. Income tax is unheard of.
The frighteningly efficient Phelanusian economy, worth a remarkable 1,612 trillion Credits a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Uranium Mining, and Woodchip Exports. Average income is an amazing 262,318 Credits, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 1,063,583 per year while the poor average 43,067, a ratio of 24.7 to 1.
The country's famous rainforests are being bulldozed by the mining industry, the government extracts trade concessions from poor nations in exchange for humanitarian aid, cities are engulfed by smog, and corporations are either above the law or corrupting it. Crime is totally unknown. Phelanus's national animal is the ZooCorp's Ernie the EagleŠ, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its national religion is as defined by the Phelanus Inc Church.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Phelanus was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Phelanus was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Phelanus was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- : Following new legislation in Phelanus, corporations are either above the law or corrupting it.
- : Following new legislation in Phelanus, cities are engulfed by smog.
- : Phelanus was refounded in Osiris.
- : Phelanus ceased to exist.
- : Phelanus was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Fastest-Growing Economies (last census: Top 10%).
- : Phelanus was endorsed by Malvadia.
- : Phelanus was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Cultured (last census: Top 5%).