“Welcome to Portugal”
|Category: Benevolent Dictatorship|
Regional Influence: Auxiliary
The Libertarian Pirate Kingdom of Peteland is a massive, socially progressive nation, ruled by his imperial majesty the delegate with an iron fist, and notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 4.811 billion enjoy great individual freedoms in everything except elections, which, where they exist at all, are populist shams for a dictatorship government that has no intention of ever giving up power.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Law & Order, and Commerce. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of the Imperial Palace. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 54%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Tourism industry, followed by Information Technology and Gambling.
Citizens are enjoying a recent large cut in taxes, Peteland is notorious for its citizens' infidelity, the lowest age at which one can marry has been recently lowered to 12, and the government has cut taxes in the face of widespread tax evasion. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Peteland's national animal is the Lion, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Dollar Sterling.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 18 hours ago
- 13 hours ago: Peteland fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Developed.
- 9 days ago: Peteland was endorsed by The People's Republic of Communist Galinea.
- 10 days ago: Peteland's influence in Portugal fell from "Negotiator" to "Auxiliary".
- 14 days ago: Peteland was reclassified from "Compulsory Consumerist State" to "Benevolent Dictatorship".
- 16 days ago: Peteland's influence in Portugal rose from "Auxiliary" to "Negotiator".
- 20 days ago: Peteland was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 23 days ago: Peteland was endorsed by The Federation of Britolandia.
- 24 days ago: Peteland proposed constructing embassies between Portugal and Lusitania Galega.
- 24 days ago: Peteland agreed to construct embassies between Portugal and The Royal Empire of Sovereign Nations.
- 24 days ago: Peteland voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Condemn The Dourian Embassy".