The Confederate States of Olthenia is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by President Phanomyang with an even hand, and notable for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, irreverence towards religion, and restrictive gun laws. The hard-nosed, hard-working, humorless population of 13.413 billion Olthenians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The medium-sized government juggles the competing demands of Environment, Education, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Cao Lan. The average income tax rate is 51.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but underdeveloped Olthenian economy, worth 786 trillion chelons a year, is quite specialized and led by the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing, Trout Farming, and Beef-Based Agriculture. Average income is 58,639 chelons, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.4 times as much as the poorest.
Fewer people are bathing as citizens must show ration stamps before they can turn on their faucets, the 'kind of scrawny' 500 meter hurdle is a popular event, loans are available for students from poor families, and government officials frequently cut taxes as a distraction from antics with their secretaries. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Olthenia's national animal is the hyena, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Taoism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Average (last census: Top 1%).
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Average.
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Cultured (last census: Top 5%).
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Smartest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- : Olthenia fell out of the regional Top 10% for Smartest Citizens.
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Godforsaken.
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments (last census: Top 5%).
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Beautiful Environments (last census: Top 5%).
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Populations.
- : Olthenia was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Publishing Industry (last census: Top 5%).