The Occupied Territories of Novus Kanaan is a massive, safe nation, ruled by Supreme Admiral Howard Tusk with an iron fist, and remarkable for its zero percent divorce rate, hatred of cheese, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, cynical, humorless, devout population of 4.551 billion Kanaanites are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, well-organized government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Spirituality, Law & Order, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Apex Lux. The average income tax rate is 95.8%.
The large but inefficient Novus Kanaanian economy, worth 250 trillion Tevariis a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector is solely comprised of the Arms Manufacturing industry. Average income is 55,145 Tevariis, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.9 times as much as the poorest.
Residents of newly dried out bays live in fear of leaky dikes, travellers are often forcibly evicted by torch-bearing mobs, pollsters are out of a job as elections have been cancelled, and the nation refuses to discard its increasingly useless penny. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Novus Kanaan's national animal is the Herat Leo, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Messiano Christovo.
Most Recent Government Activity: 3 days 18 hours ago
- 11 days ago: Novus Kanaan was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Average Tax Rates (last census: Top 10%).
- 22 days ago: Novus Kanaan fell out of the regional Top 10% for Highest Police Ratios.
- 22 days ago: Novus Kanaan changed its national currency to "Tevarii", its leader to "Supreme Admiral Howard Tusk", and its motto to "STATE REFORMATION IN PROGRESS".
- 22 days ago: Novus Kanaan altered its national flag.
- 23 days ago: Following new legislation in Novus Kanaan, the nation refuses to discard its increasingly useless penny.
- 23 days ago: Following new legislation in Novus Kanaan, pollsters are out of a job as elections have been cancelled.
- 23 days ago: Following new legislation in Novus Kanaan, travellers are often forcibly evicted by torch-bearing mobs.
- 23 days ago: Following new legislation in Novus Kanaan, residents of newly dried out bays live in fear of leaky dikes.
- 23 days ago: Following new legislation in Novus Kanaan, daisy chain gangs plant flowers and pick up litter.
- 24 days ago: Novus Kanaan changed its national nation type to "Occupied Territories".