The Paradoxical Winter Paradise of Nolaerie is a gargantuan, genial nation, ruled by Uncle Earl with a fair hand, and notable for its frequent executions, daily referendums, and complete absence of social welfare. The compassionate, democratic population of 25.208 billion Louisianians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The large, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Policy, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of New Orleans. The average income tax rate is 41.4%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Nolaeriean economy, worth 154 trillion picayunes a year, is extremely specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Gambling. Black market activity is rampant. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 6,131 picayunes, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Crowds of flag-burning protesters tend to accidentally become crowds of burning protesters, the government has adopted a "Lightning Never Strikes Twice" approach to dealing with natural disasters, Nolaerie's educational system is the envy of many and regarded as a pinnacle of academic achievement, and meat-eating is frowned upon. Crime, especially youth-related, is all-pervasive, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Nolaerie's national animal is the graceful mercia, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Bokononism.
Most Recent Government Activity: 50 days ago
- 8 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Best Weather (last census: Top 5%).
- 8 days ago: Nolaerie fell out of the regional Top 10% for Best Weather.
- 9 days ago: Nolaerie fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Publishing Industry.
- 12 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Inclusive.
- 43 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Rebellious Youth (last census: Top 5%).
- 49 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Pacifist (last census: Top 5%).
- 50 days ago: Nolaerie altered its national flag.
- 50 days ago: Nolaerie relocated from Osiris to Louisiana.
- 50 days ago: Nolaerie was refounded in Osiris.
- 51 days ago: Nolaerie ceased to exist.