“A giant testing ground for urban planners & developers”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Powerbroker
The Paradoxical Winter Paradise of Nolaerie is a gargantuan, genial nation, ruled by Uncle Earl with a fair hand, and renowned for its frequent executions, complete lack of prisons, and keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, democratic population of 24.406 billion Louisianians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The large, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Policy, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of New Orleans. The average income tax rate is 39.7%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Nolaeriean economy, worth 149 trillion picayunes a year, is extremely specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Gambling. Black market activity is rampant. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 6,118 picayunes, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.1 times as much as the poorest.
Crowds of flag-burning protesters tend to accidentally become crowds of burning protesters, the government has adopted a "Lightning Never Strikes Twice" approach to dealing with natural disasters, Nolaerie's educational system is the envy of many and regarded as a pinnacle of academic achievement, and meat-eating is frowned upon. Crime, especially youth-related, is all-pervasive, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Nolaerie's national animal is the graceful mercia, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Bokononism.
Most Recent Government Activity: 11 days ago
- 7 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Beautiful Environments (last census: Top 10%).
- 11 days ago: Nolaerie lodged a message on the Louisiana Regional Message Board.
- 24 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Best Weather (last census: Top 10%).
- 27 days ago: Nolaerie lost WA Delegate status in Louisiana.
- 31 days ago: Nolaerie fell out of the regional Top 10% for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- 33 days ago: Nolaerie changed its national nation type to "Paradoxical Winter Paradise".
- 33 days ago: Nolaerie voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Nuclear Arms Protocol".
- 45 days ago: Nolaerie's influence in Louisiana rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Powerbroker".
- 53 days ago: Nolaerie lodged a message on the Louisiana Regional Message Board.
- 54 days ago: Nolaerie's influence in Louisiana fell from "Power" to "Eminence Grise".
Endorsements Received: None.