“A giant testing ground for urban planners & developers”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Powerbroker
The Paradoxical Summer Paradise of Nolaerie is a gargantuan, genial nation, ruled by Sir Rocky Bulwinkle with a fair hand, and notable for its complete absence of social welfare. The compassionate, intelligent population of 23.466 billion Nolaerieans enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The government -- a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass -- juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Equality, and the Environment. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of New Orleans. The average income tax rate is 4%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.
The government has cut taxes in the face of widespread tax evasion, guns are banned, roads are often attended by round-the-clock construction crews, and all tariffs have been abolished. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is crippling, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Nolaerie's national animal is the graceful mercia, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Bokononism, and its currency is the picayune.
Most Recent Government Activity: 41 days ago
- 5 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Beautiful Environments (last census: Top 5%).
- 32 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Happiest Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 36 days ago: Nolaerie was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Best Weather (last census: Top 5%).
- 38 days ago: Nolaerie fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Influential.
- 41 days ago: Nolaerie changed its national nation type to "Paradoxical Summer Paradise".
- 41 days ago: Nolaerie altered its national flag.
- 45 days ago: Nolaerie's influence in Louisiana fell from "Power" to "Powerbroker".
- 46 days ago: Nolaerie relocated from Lazarus to Louisiana.
- 46 days ago: Nolaerie was refounded in Lazarus.
- 65 days ago: Nolaerie ceased to exist.