The Federal Republic of Newmist is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by Prime Minister Will Green with an even hand, and renowned for its smutty television, punitive income tax rates, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, devout population of 1.953 billion Newmistians enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.
The large government juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Woodbank. The average income tax rate is 73.0%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Newmistian economy, worth 188 trillion Pounds a year, is quite specialized and led by the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing, Beef-Based Agriculture, and Soda Sales. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 96,571 Pounds, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The government has declared its commitment to multilateralism, citizens are encouraged to report friends, family members or co-workers who seem depressed to the government for "counselling", teenagers across the country are celebrating the defeat of a national curfew bill, and truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news. Crime is totally unknown. Newmist's national animal is the Panda, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Newmist was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Beautiful Environments.
- : Newmist was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- : Newmist was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Best Weather.
- : Newmist was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Cheerful Citizens and Largest Publishing Industry.
- : Newmist was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Advanced Public Education and the Top 10% for Nudest and Highest Poor Incomes.
- : Newmist was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector and Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.
- : Newmist's influence in The North Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Newmist was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Developed, Largest Agricultural Sector, Largest Welfare Programs, Least Corrupt Governments, and Most Rebellious Youth.
- : Newmist applied to join the World Assembly.
- : Following new legislation in Newmist, truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news.