The Unified Catholic Republic of Newellington is a massive, efficient nation, ruled by Sir Unnamed Grand Vizier with an even hand, and renowned for its public floggings, zero percent divorce rate, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 1.727 billion Newellingtonians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The minute government, or what there is of one, juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of The Capitol. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 3.6%.
The all-consuming Newellingtonian economy, worth 104 trillion Newoes a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Automobile Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 60,487 Newoes, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 182,279 per year while the poor average 15,648, a ratio of 11.6 to 1.
Nudity is frowned upon, mothers drive their college-graduate children to work, 'The Anti-Government Hour' is a popular programme on many of Newellington's radio stations, and a determined opposition debates the relative benefits of Arial and Times New Roman for days on end. Crime is a problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Newellington's national animal is the Robot, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Catholicism.
Most Recent Government Activity: 11 days ago
- 4 days ago: Newellington was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Mining Sector.
- 11 days ago: Newellington relocated from Lazarus to Catholic.
- 11 days ago: Newellington was refounded in Lazarus.
- 24 days ago: Newellington ceased to exist.
- 37 days ago: Newellington was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Godforsaken.
- 52 days ago: Following new legislation in Newellington, a determined opposition debates the relative benefits of Arial and Times New Roman for days on end.
- 52 days ago: Following new legislation in Newellington, 'The Anti-Government Hour' is a popular programme on many of Newellington's radio stations.
- 52 days ago: Following new legislation in Newellington, mothers drive their college-graduate children to work.
- 52 days ago: Following new legislation in Newellington, nudity is frowned upon.
- 52 days ago: Newellington lodged a message on the Catholic Regional Message Board.