The Royal Maritime Union of New Vinland is a colossal, socially progressive nation, ruled by Prime Minister Wilfred Preston-Cole with a fair hand, and renowned for its anti-smoking policies, smutty television, and restrictive gun laws. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful, devout population of 6.486 billion New Vinlanders love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The medium-sized, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Industry, Education, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Halifax. The average income tax rate is 28.5%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient New Vinlandian economy, worth 826 trillion New Vinland pounds a year, is quite specialized and led by the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing, Automobile Manufacturing, and Basket Weaving. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an impressive 127,504 New Vinland pounds, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.4 times as much as the poorest.
Loans are available for students from poor families, the government has started a campaign to crack down on road rage and encourage alternate means of commuting, the government seizes all major gold finds, and citizens can be frequently spotted going about their business stark naked. Crime is totally unknown. New Vinland's national animal is the Canada Lynx, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is The Anglo-Lutheran Reformed Church.
Most Recent Government Activity: 13 minutes ago
- 7 hours ago: Following new legislation in New Vinland, citizens can be frequently spotted going about their business stark naked.
- 20 hours ago: New Vinland endorsed The Ghostbusting Dominion of British Canuckistan.
- 1 day 18 hours ago: New Vinland was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 1 day 19 hours ago: New Vinland was reclassified from "Left-wing Utopia" to "Liberal Democratic Socialists".
- 1 day 19 hours ago: Following new legislation in New Vinland, the government seizes all major gold finds.
- 2 days 19 hours ago: Following new legislation in New Vinland, the government has started a campaign to crack down on road rage and encourage alternate means of commuting.
- 4 days ago: New Vinland voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "International Expositions Act"".
- 5 days ago: New Vinland fell out of the regional Top 10% for Lowest Unemployment Rates.
- 6 days ago: New Vinland was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Nicest Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 6 days ago: New Vinland was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Nicest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).