“L'étoile du nord est toujours fidèle.”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Royal Maritime Union of New Vinland is a colossal, economically powerful nation, ruled by Prime Minister Felix Thomas Hoover with a fair hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, intelligent population of 5.887 billion New Vinlanders enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Commerce, Education, and the Environment. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Halifax. The average income tax rate is 69%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Tourism industry.
Anti-government web sites are springing up, tourists outnumber citizens two to one, protesters are up in arms over new nuclear power stations, and children are raised bilingual from an early age. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. New Vinland's national animal is the Canada Lynx, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, its national religion is The Anglo-Presbyterian Protestant Church, and its currency is the New Vinland pound.
Most Recent Government Activity: 6 days ago
- 7 days ago: New Vinland was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Lowest Unemployment Rates.
- 12 days ago: Following new legislation in New Vinland, children are raised bilingual from an early age.
- 12 days ago: Following new legislation in New Vinland, protesters are up in arms over new nuclear power stations.
- 12 days ago: New Vinland was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Godforsaken.
- 29 days ago: New Vinland was endorsed by The Nomadic Peoples of Lardon Atya.
- 29 days ago: Following new legislation in New Vinland, tourists outnumber citizens two to one.
- 29 days ago: Following new legislation in New Vinland, anti-government web sites are springing up.
- 29 days ago: New Vinland voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Anti-Counterfeiting Pact".
- 30 days ago: New Vinland endorsed The Unified Nations of Drummond and Elmsley.
- 30 days ago: New Vinland endorsed The Borderlands of Mojaguay.
Endorsements Received: 18 » Almonaster Nuevo, Parkplace, Devil Heart, Esselldee, Higsantium, Stormaen, South Pezalia, Cowland5, Raincouver, Wolfgangmn, Guelphia, SetiCrunchers, Aboriginal Sailors of Hudson Bay, San Francesco Bay, Aslanistan, SLAM-ER, Lutsen, and Lardon Atya.