The Practically Dead Raider of New South Arctica is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Zagor with an even hand, and notable for its museums and concert halls, compulsory military service, and keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, democratic population of 16.713 billion Arctichawkians enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Policy, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Hieraconopolis. The average income tax rate is 98.2%.
The large but stagnant Arctichawkian economy, worth 149 trillion ice cubes a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 8,917 ice cubes, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Anti-government web sites are springing up, the government is spending millions on alternative clean-burning fuels, companies struggle to cover for the hordes of employees on parental leave, and cars speed down national highways while drivers sleep at the wheel. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. New South Arctica's national animal is the penguin, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is The Cult of Horus.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : New South Arctica fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- : New South Arctica's influence in The Black Hawks rose from "Instigator" to "Dealmaker".
- : New South Arctica was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Smartest Citizens (last census: #1).
- : New South Arctica was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Rebellious Youth (last census: Top 1%).
- : New South Arctica's influence in The Black Hawks fell from "Dealmaker" to "Instigator".
- : New South Arctica was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Compassionate Citizens (last census: Top 1%).
- : New South Arctica was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Beautiful Environments.
- : New South Arctica was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Beautiful Environments (last census: #1).
- : New South Arctica was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments (last census: Top 1%).
- : New South Arctica was reclassified from "Democratic Socialists" to "Scandinavian Liberal Paradise".