“United By Diversity”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Federation of New Chautaqua is a massive, socially progressive nation, ruled by Yaroslav Hottl with a fair hand, and notable for its anti-smoking policies. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 4.487 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Law & Order, and Defence. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Chernenko. The average income tax rate is 96%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Tourism industry.
The police have reaffirmed their tough stance on drugs, the wearing and manufacture of fur apparel is banned, citizens select which government department gets their income tax Rubles each year, and kids laugh off vandalism and arson as "just fun". Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. New Chautaqua's national animal is the Lynx, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, its national religion is Atheism, and its currency is the Ruble.
Most Recent Government Activity: 13 days ago
- 17 hours ago: New Chautaqua was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Healthiest Citizens.
- 4 days ago: New Chautaqua was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Smartest Citizens.
- 16 days ago: New Chautaqua was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Happiest Citizens.
- 18 days ago: New Chautaqua was refounded.
- 126 days ago: New Chautaqua ceased to exist.
- 131 days ago: New Chautaqua was endorsed by The Minister of Defense of Kiwitaicho.
- 134 days ago: New Chautaqua was ranked in the Top 1% of the region for Most Cultured (last census: Top 5%).
- 138 days ago: New Chautaqua was endorsed by The Sovereign Kingdom of Ator People.
- 142 days ago: New Chautaqua was endorsed by The Respublika of Zemnaya Svoboda.
- 146 days ago: New Chautaqua was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates (last census: Top 10%).