The Socialist Federation of New Bazlantis is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by the Federal Executive Council with a fair hand, and notable for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, complete lack of prisons, and smutty television. The hard-nosed, democratic population of 8.116 billion Bazlantians are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, outspoken morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Healthcare, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Bazlantia. The average income tax rate is 76.6%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but inefficient New Bazlantisian economy, worth 271 trillion bazlars a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is highly specialized, is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing and Beef-Based Agriculture. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 33,479 bazlars, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Teams of painters are converting road signs from horse lengths to kilometers, disaster victims are viewed with disdain, glittering new sports stadiums adorn every city and town, and eight year-olds with lemonade stands have been known to be locked up on charges of embezzlement. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. New Bazlantis's national animal is the Bazlantian Dragon, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity: 10 days ago
- 11 days ago: New Bazlantis was endorsed by The Althing of Ratateague.
- 11 days ago: New Bazlantis was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Influential.
- 24 days ago: New Bazlantis was reclassified from "Liberal Democratic Socialists" to "Left-wing Utopia".
- 25 days ago: New Bazlantis was endorsed by The Federal Republic of The Union of Mexican States.
- 32 days ago: New Bazlantis was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Liberal Democratic Socialists".
- 48 days ago: New Bazlantis was reclassified from "Civil Rights Lovefest" to "New York Times Democracy".
- 74 days ago: New Bazlantis was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- 98 days ago: New Bazlantis was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Least Corrupt Governments.
- 116 days ago: New Bazlantis was endorsed by The Semi-Autonomous Protectorate of Onirianc.
- 136 days ago: New Bazlantis was endorsed by The Althing of Ratateague.