The Byzantine Empire of Messeg is a gargantuan, orderly nation, renowned for its frequent executions, enslaved workforce, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 17.577 billion Messegians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The relatively small, pro-business government prioritizes Law & Order, with Defense, Industry, and Public Transport also on the agenda, while Social Policy and Environment aren't funded at all. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 8.8%.
The powerhouse Messegian economy, worth a remarkable 1,323 trillion soliduses a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Woodchip Exports, and Gambling. Average income is 75,287 soliduses, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 430,490 per year while the poor average 6,367, a ratio of 67.6 to 1.
The workforce is almost entirely made up of slave labour, a niche industry catering to S&M enthusiasts has sprung up, the government's new 'Crime Can Fight Itself' policy appears to be backfiring rather badly, and the government is avowedly atheist. Crime, especially youth-related, is a problem. Messeg's national animal is the bicephalus eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Messeg fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Pro-Market.
- : Messeg fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Avoided.
- : Messeg fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Developed.
- : Messeg was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Avoided.
- : Messeg was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Cultured.
- : Messeg was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector.
- : Messeg fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Retail Industry.
- : Messeg was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Developed.
- : Messeg fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Manufacturing Sector.
- : Messeg fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Gambling Industry.