“To move fast into a new age. ”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Superpower
Location: The Cunard Nations
The Republic of Mauretania is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by Theodore Johnson with an even hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working population of 6.292 billion Mauretanians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Education. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Carpathia. The average income tax rate is 53%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
Libraries are now installed with jacuzzis and mini-bars, innocent defendants often plea guilty for fear of receiving a much harsher sentence before jury, the nation's infamous boot camp is more brutal than most battlefields, and the government has cut taxes in the face of widespread tax evasion. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Mauretania's national animal is the Alpine Oryx, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, its national religion is Protestant, and its currency is the Mauretania Rand.
Most Recent Government Activity: 6 days ago
- 39 days ago: Mauretania changed its national nation type to "Republic".
- 53 days ago: Mauretania was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Average (last census: Top 5%).
- 105 days ago: Mauretania's influence in The Cunard Nations fell from "Dominator" to "Superpower".
- 106 days ago: Mauretania's influence in The Cunard Nations fell from "Hermit" to "Dominator".
- 107 days ago: Mauretania's influence in The Cunard Nations rose from "Minnow" to "Hermit".
- 107 days ago: Mauretania relocated from Region of Liberty to The Cunard Nations.
- 107 days ago: Mauretania founded the region The Cunard Nations.
- 109 days ago: Mauretania's influence in Region of Liberty rose from "Contender" to "Instigator".
- 114 days ago: Mauretania's influence in Region of Liberty rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- 117 days ago: Mauretania was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Happiest Citizens (last census: Top 5%).