“He said with a grin, as he wiped off his chin....”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Powerbroker
Location: 42 Douglas Adams
The People's Republic of Matison is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by Gene Masseth with a fair hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 14.175 billion Matisonians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is mainly concerned with Education, although Defence and Commerce are secondary priorities. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Matison City. The average income tax rate is 35%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Beef-Based Agriculture, Tourism, and Book Publishing industries.
Eight year-olds can be seen lighting up in public areas, citizens living in underground cities have developed a healthy green glow, calling out of the blue has become taboo, and fancy dress parties are raided by military police for new recruits. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Matison's national animal is the LOLcat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the fark.
Matison is ranked 2nd in 42 Douglas Adams and 6,594th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates, scoring 329 on the Workforce Participation Versus Theoretical Maximum Metric.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 13 hours ago
- 1 day 11 hours ago: Following new legislation in Matison, fancy dress parties are raided by military police for new recruits.
- 15 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Nudest.
- 21 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Average (last census: Top 1%).
- 21 days ago: Matison fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Average.
- 23 days ago: Matison lodged a message on the 42 Douglas Adams Regional Message Board.
- 41 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced (last census: Top 5%).
- 55 days ago: Following new legislation in Matison, calling out of the blue has become taboo.
- 64 days ago: Matison fell out of the regional Top 10% for Lowest Unemployment Rates.
- 76 days ago: Matison fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 77 days ago: Matison lodged a message on the 42 Douglas Adams Regional Message Board.