“He said with a grin, as he wiped off his chin....”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Powerbroker
Location: 42 Douglas Adams
The People's Republic of Matison is a gargantuan, economically powerful nation, ruled by Gene Masseth with a fair hand, and remarkable for its museums and concert halls. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 14.025 billion Matisonians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is mainly concerned with Education, although Defence and Commerce are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Matison City. The average income tax rate is 35%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Beef-Based Agriculture, Tourism, and Book Publishing industries.
Major cities shut down as their local sports team takes to the field every day, eight year-olds can be seen lighting up in public areas, citizens living in underground cities have developed a healthy green glow, and calling out of the blue has become taboo. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Matison's national animal is the LOLcat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the fark.
Most Recent Government Activity: 20 days ago
- 16 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced (last census: Top 5%).
- 30 days ago: Following new legislation in Matison, calling out of the blue has become taboo.
- 39 days ago: Matison fell out of the regional Top 10% for Lowest Unemployment Rates.
- 51 days ago: Matison fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 51 days ago: Matison lodged a message on the 42 Douglas Adams Regional Message Board.
- 52 days ago: Matison's influence in 42 Douglas Adams rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Powerbroker".
- 58 days ago: Matison fell out of the world Top 10% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 58 days ago: Matison fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 60 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Happiest Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 80 days ago: Matison's influence in 42 Douglas Adams fell from "Powerbroker" to "Eminence Grise".