“He said with a grin, as he wiped off his chin....”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Powerbroker
Location: 42 Douglas Adams
The People's Republic of Matison is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Gene Masseth with a fair hand, and remarkable for its sprawling nuclear power plants. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 12.663 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Defence and Commerce are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Matison City. The average income tax rate is 34%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Beef-Based Agriculture, Tourism, and Book Publishing industries.
Radio shows frequently feature people denouncing religion, the commercialisation of highly deadly weapons has instilled Matison with a very polite populace, the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas, and photographers can be found hiding behind the curtains in Gene Masseth's bedroom. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Matison's national animal is the LOLcat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the fark.
Most Recent Government Activity: 4 days ago
- 3 days 13 hours ago: Matison's influence in 42 Douglas Adams rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Powerbroker".
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Matison, photographers can be found hiding behind the curtains in Gene Masseth's bedroom.
- 4 days ago: Matison voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Cultural Heritage Protection"".
- 6 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Commend The Bruce".
- 6 days ago: Matison voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Renewable Energy Installations"".
- 9 days ago: Matison was endorsed by The Republic of Someone Special 80.
- 16 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Average (last census: Top 5%).
- 23 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "International Arms Trading".
- 23 days ago: Matison voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Luna Amore".
- 23 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Luna Amore".