“He said with a grin, as he wiped off his chin....”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Eminence Grise
Location: 42 Douglas Adams
The People's Republic of Matison is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Gene Masseth with a fair hand, and renowned for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 13.44 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is mainly concerned with Education, although Defence and Commerce are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Matison City. The average income tax rate is 35%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Beef-Based Agriculture, Tourism, and Book Publishing industries.
The mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas, photographers can be found hiding behind the curtains in Gene Masseth's bedroom, disaster victims are viewed with disdain, and major cities shut down as their local sports team takes to the field every day. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Matison's national animal is the LOLcat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the fark.
Most Recent Government Activity: 7 days ago
- 14 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced (last census: Top 10%).
- 16 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- 28 days ago: Matison lost the position of 42 Douglas Adams WA Delegate to The Backend of Whatthe.
- 28 days ago: Matison resigned from the World Assembly.
- 28 days ago: Matison lodged a message on the 42 Douglas Adams Regional Message Board.
- 28 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Moratorium on Animal Testing".
- 34 days ago: Matison was reclassified from "Corporate Bordello" to "New York Times Democracy".
- 37 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Developed.
- 38 days ago: Matison's influence in 42 Douglas Adams fell from "Powerbroker" to "Eminence Grise".
- 43 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Liberate St Abbaddon".