“He said with a grin, as he wiped off his chin....”
|Category: Corporate Bordello|
Regional Influence: Powerbroker
Location: 42 Douglas Adams
The People's Republic of Matison is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by Gene Masseth with a fair hand, and remarkable for its unlimited-speed roads. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 13.205 billion are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Defence and Commerce are secondary priorities. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Matison City. The average income tax rate is 31%, but much higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Beef-Based Agriculture, Tourism, and Book Publishing industries.
The mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas, photographers can be found hiding behind the curtains in Gene Masseth's bedroom, disaster victims are viewed with disdain, and major cities shut down as their local sports team takes to the field every day. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Matison's national animal is the LOLcat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the fark.
Most Recent Government Activity: 3 days 9 hours ago
- 5 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Liberate St Abbaddon".
- 5 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Cultural Site Preservation".
- 6 days ago: Matison fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Armed.
- 8 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Happiest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- 16 days ago: Matison was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Corporate Bordello".
- 17 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Abacathea".
- 17 days ago: Matison voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Ethics in International Trade"".
- 17 days ago: Matison voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Ethics in International Trade"".
- 18 days ago: Matison was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 25 days ago: Matison lodged a message on the 42 Douglas Adams Regional Message Board.