The Queen's State of Markland Battle Harbor is a colossal, efficient nation, remarkable for its spontaneously combusting cars. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 9.415 billion Markland Battle Harborians are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
The relatively small, pro-business, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Industry. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 9.0%.
The very strong Markland Battle Harborian economy, worth 319 trillion betales a year, is quite specialized and led by the Beef-Based Agriculture industry, with significant contributions from Uranium Mining, Information Technology, and Book Publishing. Average income is 33,913 betales, but there is a vast disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 328,808 per year while the poor average 168, a ratio of 1,948 to 1.
The government is avowedly atheist, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, all tariffs have been abolished, and the streets are increasingly clogged with poverty-stricken beggars. Crime is a serious problem, probably because of the absence of a police force. Markland Battle Harbor's national animal is the deer, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Markland Battle Harbor was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Least Corrupt Governments.
- : Markland Battle Harbor's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Markland Battle Harbor's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Markland Battle Harbor's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Zero" to "Newcomer".
- : Markland Battle Harbor relocated from Brazzaville to Ancient Lands.
- : Markland Battle Harbor's influence in Brazzaville rose from "Zero" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Markland Battle Harbor relocated from Ecuador to Brazzaville.
- : Markland Battle Harbor was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Pro-Market and Greatest Rich-Poor Divides and the Top 5% for Rudest Citizens, Largest Agricultural Sector, and Most Politically Free.
- : Markland Battle Harbor was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- : Markland Battle Harbor was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Rudest Citizens.