“To be or not to be .......”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Vassal
The United States of Mameluco is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Fernando Alonso with a fair hand, and renowned for its punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 18.363 billion Mamelucoans enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Law & Order, and the Environment. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Matrix City. The average income tax rate is 57%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.
Hundreds of thousands of convicts work as slaves in Mameluco's many privately-owned prisons, coalition governments are essential to passing new laws, administrative districts are increasingly defined by their taste in housing architecture, and truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Mameluco's national animal is the dragon, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the mameluco.
Most Recent Government Activity: 2 hours ago
- 2 hours ago: Mameluco was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "New York Times Democracy".
- 2 hours ago: Following new legislation in Mameluco, truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news.
- 2 hours ago: Following new legislation in Mameluco, administrative districts are increasingly defined by their taste in housing architecture.
- 2 hours ago: Following new legislation in Mameluco, coalition governments are essential to passing new laws.
- 2 hours ago: Mameluco endorsed The Republic of Novirod.
- 13 hours ago: Mameluco was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Least Corrupt Governments.
- 1 day 12 hours ago: Mameluco was endorsed by The Republic of Novirod.
- 3 days 2 hours ago: Mameluco was endorsed by The Grand Kingdom of Belique.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Mameluco, hundreds of thousands of convicts work as slaves in Mameluco's many privately-owned prisons.
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Mameluco, the government has declined to declare any particular religion as its 'official' one.
Endorsements Received: 47 » Alsted, Short shorts, Jenesia, Eurosceptic Citizens, Stromia, Valrem, Tigyland, Lexembourg, Nou Occitania, Beauvoir, The City-State of Vienna, Fenian Provinces, Chiolena, Ascara, Toongoosia, Echo von Cotta, Ivernia, Outer Prussia, Nuweland, The Seven Provinces, Nova Prutenia, Jon4de85, Veeten Engines, Grasaland, New France of Silvius Bonaparte, Keris, Albertinum, Multatuli, Foucaults garden, The Roman Imperial Republic, Marmiedon, Novo Portugal, Vanbrugh, Monance, Santamio, An Clar, Each-Uisge, Turukelia, Welsh Valley, Athos and Byzantium, Horreum, Norse German Federation, Ecclestia, Zavalka, Pileusia, Pantoufle, and Novirod.