The Republic of Makem is a colossal, efficient nation, ruled by Tommy Makem with a fair hand, and renowned for its deadly medical pandemics, complete lack of public education, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, humorless, devout population of 8.205 billion Makemians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The relatively small government is dominated by the Department of Defense, although Law & Order and Spirituality are also considered important, while Social Policy and Welfare receive no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Beaumont. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.6%.
The all-consuming Makemian economy, worth 717 trillion Free Markets a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism, Retail, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 87,480 Free Markets, with the richest citizens earning 6.3 times as much as the poorest.
The roads are virtually falling apart, people eagerly queue days at A&E to wait for their free healthcare, main battle tanks stalk the woods of Makem in search of Eagles, and Ollie the Oiled Seal welcomes throngs of tourists to the newly opened Oil Oasis Water Park. Crime, especially youth-related, is well under control, thanks to a capable police force. Makem's national animal is the Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Makem is ranked 113th in Texas and 52,532nd in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates, scoring 80 on the Workforce Participation Versus Theoretical Maximum Metric.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Insurance Industry (last census: Top 10%).
- : Makem was endorsed by The Galactic Muppets of Darth Kermit.
- : Following new legislation in Makem, Ollie the Oiled Seal welcomes throngs of tourists to the newly opened Oil Oasis Water Park.
- : Following new legislation in Makem, main battle tanks stalk the woods of Makem in search of Eagles.
- : Following new legislation in Makem, people eagerly queue days at A&E to wait for their free healthcare.
- : Following new legislation in Makem, the roads are virtually falling apart.
- : Following new legislation in Makem, tightly packed choir-boys sing the god-given joys of heterosexuality on public transport.
- : Makem lodged a message on the Texas Regional Message Board.
- : Makem endorsed The Galactic Muppets of Darth Kermit.
- : Makem endorsed The Federation of Amandil.