The Republic of Makem is a colossal, efficient nation, ruled by Tommy Makem with a fair hand, and renowned for its zero percent divorce rate, unlimited-speed roads, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, humorless, devout population of 6.763 billion Makemians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The relatively small government is effectively ruled by the Department of Defense, with Law & Order and Spirituality also on the agenda, while Welfare and Social Policy receive no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Beaumont. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 6.8%.
The frighteningly efficient Makemian economy, worth 558 trillion Free Markets a year, is fairly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism, Retail, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 82,511 Free Markets, with the richest citizens earning 7.9 times as much as the poorest.
Makem successfully hosted the Texas Olympics, dark alleys and public toilets are filled with furtive sexual activities among teenagers and unmarried adults, scenic tours are unheard of after most environmental laws were abolished, and small businesses are gobbled up almost daily by corporate giants. Crime, especially youth-related, is relatively low, thanks to a capable police force. Makem's national animal is the Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity: 17 days ago
- 5 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Retail Industry (last census: Top 10%).
- 18 days ago: Makem fell out of the regional Top 10% for Least Corrupt Governments.
- 28 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Manufacturing Sector.
- 32 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 5%).
- 35 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- 44 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- 60 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Devout (last census: Top 5%).
- 60 days ago: Makem fell out of the regional Top 5% for Most Devout.
- 71 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Avoided.
- 99 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Least Corrupt Governments.