The Republic of Makem is a colossal, efficient nation, ruled by Tommy Makem with a fair hand, and notable for its public floggings, daily referendums, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, humorless, devout population of 7.101 billion Makemians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The relatively small government is effectively ruled by the Department of Defense, with Law & Order and Spirituality also on the agenda, while Welfare and Social Policy are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Beaumont. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 6.1%.
The frighteningly efficient Makemian economy, worth 591 trillion Free Markets a year, is fairly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism, Retail, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 83,328 Free Markets, with the richest citizens earning 7.9 times as much as the poorest.
Makem successfully hosted the Texas Olympics, dark alleys and public toilets are filled with furtive sexual activities among teenagers and unmarried adults, scenic tours are unheard of after most environmental laws were abolished, and small businesses are gobbled up almost daily by corporate giants. Crime, especially youth-related, is relatively low, thanks to a capable police force. Makem's national animal is the Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity: 3 days 8 hours ago
- 14 days ago: Makem was endorsed by The Allied States of AmandilTwo.
- 17 days ago: Makem fell out of the regional Top 10% for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- 30 days ago: Makem was endorsed by The Giantic Frozen Igloo of Studly Penguins.
- 43 days ago: Makem was endorsed by The United Kingdoms of Grays Harbor.
- 43 days ago: Makem was endorsed by The Giantic Frozen Igloo of Studly Penguins.
- 48 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Rudest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).
- 57 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 63 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Retail Industry (last census: Top 10%).
- 76 days ago: Makem fell out of the regional Top 10% for Least Corrupt Governments.
- 86 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Manufacturing Sector.