“Sound the Pibroch”
|Category: Capitalist Paradise|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Republic of Makem is a colossal, economically powerful nation, ruled by Tommy Makem with an even hand, and remarkable for its complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 5.33 billion Makemians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
There is no government in the normal sense of the word; however, a small group of community-minded individuals concentrates mainly on Defence, although Religion & Spirituality and Law & Order are secondary priorities. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Beaumont. Income tax is unheard of. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, followed by Automobile Manufacturing and Retail.
Elections have become procedural nightmares due to voters persistently rejecting candidates, travel bureaus double as recruiting centers for national intelligence agencies, citizens are regularly found digging for treasure in their gardens, and movies and computer games are strictly censored for violence. Crime is crippling. Makem's national animal is the Eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its currency is the Free Market.
Most Recent Government Activity: 10 days ago
- 2 days 22 hours ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden (last census: Top 1%).
- 6 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Automobile Manufacturing Sector.
- 7 days ago: Makem fell out of the regional Top 10% for Least Corrupt Governments.
- 12 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Retail Industry.
- 13 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Shortest Average Lifespan (last census: Top 5%).
- 62 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 10%).
- 62 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- 72 days ago: Makem was endorsed by The Republic of Aquafireland WA.
- 74 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Pro-Market.
- 81 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Rudest Citizens (last census: Top 10%).