“Sound the Pibroch”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Republic of Makem is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Tommy Makem with an even hand, and remarkable for its compulsory military service. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 5.639 billion Makemians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
There is no government in the normal sense of the word; however, a small group of community-minded individuals is mainly concerned with Defence, although Religion & Spirituality and Law & Order are secondary priorities. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Beaumont. Income tax is unheard of. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, followed by Retail and Tourism.
Elections have become procedural nightmares due to voters persistently rejecting candidates, travel bureaus double as recruiting centers for national intelligence agencies, citizens are regularly found digging for treasure in their gardens, and movies and computer games are strictly censored for violence. Crime is crippling. Makem's national animal is the Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its currency is the Free Market.
Most Recent Government Activity: 12 days ago
- 5 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Greatest Rich-Poor Divides.
- 12 days ago: Makem lodged a message on the Texas Regional Message Board.
- 15 days ago: Makem was endorsed by The Allied States of AmandilTwo.
- 16 days ago: Makem was reclassified from "Capitalist Paradise" to "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy".
- 21 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Rudest Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 41 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Manufacturing Sector.
- 54 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden (last census: Top 1%).
- 58 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Automobile Manufacturing Sector.
- 59 days ago: Makem fell out of the regional Top 10% for Least Corrupt Governments.
- 64 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Retail Industry.