The Republic of Makem is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Tommy Makem with a fair hand, and renowned for its zero percent divorce rate, strictly enforced bedtime, and sprawling nuclear power plants. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, humorless, devout population of 6.59 billion Makemians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The relatively small government is effectively ruled by the Department of Defense, with Law & Order and Spirituality also on the agenda, while Welfare and Social Policy receive no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Beaumont. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 6.8%.
The frighteningly efficient Makemian economy, worth 542 trillion Free Markets a year, is fairly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism, Retail, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 82,374 Free Markets, with the richest citizens earning 7.9 times as much as the poorest.
Makem successfully hosted the Texas Olympics, dark alleys and public toilets are filled with furtive sexual activities among teenagers and unmarried adults, scenic tours are unheard of after most environmental laws were abolished, and small businesses are gobbled up almost daily by corporate giants. Crime, especially youth-related, is relatively low, thanks to a capable police force. Makem's national animal is the Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity: 11 days ago
- 2 days 13 hours ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 5%).
- 5 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- 14 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- 30 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Devout (last census: Top 5%).
- 30 days ago: Makem fell out of the regional Top 5% for Most Devout.
- 41 days ago: Makem fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Avoided.
- 69 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Least Corrupt Governments.
- 81 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Retail Industry.
- 91 days ago: Makem was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Stupidest Citizens (last census: #1).
- 120 days ago: Makem was struck by a Cure Missile from The Free Land of Bajor Prime, curing 1 million infected.