The United Republic of Lieges is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by President Potrus Soustas with a fair hand, and remarkable for its unlimited-speed roads, sprawling nuclear power plants, and hatred of cheese. The hard-nosed, democratic, humorless, devout population of 4.982 billion Liegians are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The enormous, corrupt, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Industry, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ricads. The average income tax rate is 69.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The thriving Liegesian economy, worth 336 trillion Ownuans a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Furniture Restoration and Basket Weaving. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 67,611 Ownuans, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
A National Academy regulates grammar and usage, torture is illegal, most citizens in Lieges are abject pyrophobes after extremely graphic pamphlets were mailed nationwide by the government, and military spending is on the increase. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Lieges's national animal is the Phoenix, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its national religion is Atheism.
Most Recent Government Activity: 1 day 5 hours ago
- 23 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lieges, military spending is on the increase.
- 23 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lieges, most citizens in Lieges are abject pyrophobes after extremely graphic pamphlets were mailed nationwide by the government.
- 23 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lieges, torture is illegal.
- 23 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lieges, a National Academy regulates grammar and usage.
- 23 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lieges, multiple polls have christened the newly-formed Filibuster Committee as "the least efficient government bureaucracy".
- 1 day 5 hours ago: Lieges voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Commend Krulltopia"".
- 3 days 23 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lieges, 'The Anti-Government Hour' is a popular programme on many of Lieges's radio stations.
- 3 days 23 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lieges, charged suspects often have to wait years before the courts have room to judge their trial.
- 4 days ago: Lieges was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans (last census: Top 5%).
- 4 days ago: Following new legislation in Lieges, citizens may cast their vote over the internet or phone.
Endorsements Received: 31 » Jenesia, Foucaults garden, Lexembourg, The Seven Provinces, Alsted, Eurosceptic Citizens, Sybaritic Socialists, The City-State of Vienna, Tigyland, An Clar, Outer Prussia, Fenian Provinces, Dauershire, Pileusia, Novo Portugal, Axtro-Saxonia, Prinx, Ecclestia, Wombelland, Polonilandia, Outer Sparta, Imperium Anglorum, Basque Dominion, Northern German Federation, Nerds Geeks and Trolls, Alleusia, Merviengrad, Wundaskenael, Nova Luna, Pinderia, and Insula Funchal.