The United Republic of Lieges is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by President Potrus Soustas with a fair hand, and notable for its strictly enforced bedtime, daily referendums, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, democratic, humorless, devout population of 6.012 billion Liègians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The enormous, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ricads. The average income tax rate is 82.7%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The all-consuming Liegesian economy, worth 625 trillion Ownuans a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism, Furniture Restoration, and Basket Weaving. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an impressive 104,047 Ownuans, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
All major public areas are watched by police surveillance cameras, police escort anti-abortion activists to free speech cages if they try to express their views, a weakened police force struggles to maintain law and order, and birth rates have hit an all-time low. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Lieges's national animal is the Phoenix, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its national religion is Atheism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Lieges, birth rates have hit an all-time low.
- : Following new legislation in Lieges, a weakened police force struggles to maintain law and order.
- : Following new legislation in Lieges, police escort anti-abortion activists to free speech cages if they try to express their views.
- : Following new legislation in Lieges, all major public areas are watched by police surveillance cameras.
- : Following new legislation in Lieges, citizens are remarkably well involved in the political process.
- : Lieges voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Researching Unique Ecosystems".
- : Lieges was endorsed by The Armed Republic of Hitokiri.
- : Lieges was endorsed by The Federation of East Arc.
- : Lieges fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Primitive.
- : Following new legislation in Lieges, it is illegal for police officers to carry out searches due to strict privacy laws.
Endorsements Received: 30 » Jenesia, Foucaults garden, Lexembourg, The Seven Provinces, Alsted, Eurosceptic Citizens, The City-State of Vienna, Tigyland, An Clar, Fenian Provinces, Dauershire, Pileusia, Novo Portugal, Prinx, Wombelland, Imperium Anglorum, Basque Dominion, Northern German Federation, Continental Social Democrats, Bluegoodland, Troltovia, Celipseans, The Nether Regions, Strajalands, Bescherelle, Feux, Polonilandia, Tuccistahn, East Arc, and Hitokiri.