“Exploring the Terra Incognita”
|Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy|
Regional Influence: Minnow
The Republic of Lichian is a massive, economically powerful nation, ruled by Luke MacPherson with an even hand, and remarkable for its absence of drug laws. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 4.878 billion Lichians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Commerce, and Law & Order. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Lichian City. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 75%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, followed by Information Technology and Tourism.
The military has grudgingly released all top secret information in an effort for greater transparency, armed police units patrol the roads late at night, rag-wearing teachers are often mistaken for homeless people, and rap artists are regularly jailed for promoting extremist groups. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is pervasive. Lichian's national animal is the Lothian Ground Llama, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Judaeo-Christianity, and its currency is the Gold Ducat.
Most Recent Government Activity: 3 days 8 hours ago
- 3 days 8 hours ago: Lichian voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend McMasterdonia".
- 3 days 8 hours ago: Lichian voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Convention on Fracking".
- 3 days 8 hours ago: Lichian endorsed The Big Tex Happy Taco Stands of NewTexas.
- 3 days 8 hours ago: Lichian changed its national demonym adjective to "a Lichianian" and its demonym plural to "Lichians".
- 4 days ago: Lichian was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans.
- 8 days ago: Lichian was endorsed by The Gigantic Frozen Igloo of Studly Penguins.
- 13 days ago: Lichian was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Drug Use (last census: Top 5%).
- 13 days ago: Lichian fell out of the regional Top 10% for Highest Drug Use.
- 15 days ago: Following new legislation in Lichian, rap artists are regularly jailed for promoting extremist groups.
- 15 days ago: Following new legislation in Lichian, rag-wearing teachers are often mistaken for homeless people.