“We The People Are Free Under God”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Envoy
Location: The Allied Republics
The Republic of Libertarian Washington is a colossal, devout nation, ruled by Benjamin Franklin with a fair hand, and remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 8.687 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
There is no government in the normal sense of the word; however, a small group of community-minded individuals juggles the competing demands of Defence, Education, and Religion & Spirituality. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Libertarian Franklin. Income tax is unheard of. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
A study has shown that many parents are too embarrassed to teach their children sex education, armed police units patrol the roads late at night, record sales of 'child-whacking sticks' have been reported, and the armed forces are locked in an expensive and bloody war abroad to stamp out possible terrorists. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is a problem. Libertarian Washington's national animal is the King Cobra, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, its national religion is Freedom of Choice, and its currency is the Gold Standard.
Most Recent Government Activity: 9 days ago
- 15 hours ago: Libertarian Washington's influence in The Allied Republics rose from "Duckspeaker" to "Envoy".
- 6 days ago: Libertarian Washington was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Avoided (last census: Top 10%).
- 6 days ago: Libertarian Washington fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Avoided.
- 9 days ago: Libertarian Washington was admitted to the World Assembly.
- 9 days ago: Libertarian Washington lodged a message on the The Allied Republics Regional Message Board.
- 9 days ago: Libertarian Washington applied to join the World Assembly.
- 9 days ago: Libertarian Washington relocated from Balder to The Allied Republics.
- 9 days ago: Libertarian Washington was refounded in Balder.
- 11 days ago: Libertarian Washington ceased to exist.
- 21 days ago: Libertarian Washington's influence in The Allied Republics rose from "Handshaker" to "Duckspeaker".
Endorsements Received: None.