“Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum”
|Category: Left-wing Utopia|
Regional Influence: Auxiliary
The Deceptively Hot Nation of Lethen is a gargantuan, safe nation, ruled by Malcolm Mason with a fair hand, and renowned for its national health service. The hard-nosed, intelligent population of 17.685 billion Lethenites are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, liberal government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Law & Order and Healthcare are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Arnhelm. The average income tax rate is 91%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Information Technology industry, followed by Book Publishing and Tourism.
Malcolm Mason is the self-declared God of all Lethen, the government is using tax revenues to provide jobs for the poor, the government is promoting multicultural values with the new 'Just Be Nice, OK?' initiative, and local executives are seen on the corner with cardboard signs reading "will oppress the masses for food". Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Lethen's national animal is the penguin, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Masonic love fest, and its currency is the Golden Farb.
Most Recent Government Activity: 7 hours ago
- 12 hours ago: Lethen's influence in Europeia rose from "Ambassador" to "Auxiliary".
- 1 day 15 hours ago: Lethen lodged a message on the Europeia Regional Message Board.
- 1 day 22 hours ago: Lethen was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Police Ratios (last census: Top 5%).
- 1 day 23 hours ago: Lethen was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Highest Police Ratios (last census: Top 5%).
- 2 days 12 hours ago: Lethen's influence in Europeia fell from "Auxiliary" to "Ambassador".
- 6 days ago: Lethen lodged a message on the Europeia Regional Message Board.
- 11 days ago: Lethen's influence in Europeia rose from "Ambassador" to "Auxiliary".
- 11 days ago: Lethen fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 23 days ago: Lethen lodged a message on the Europeia Regional Message Board.
- 24 days ago: Lethen was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Basket Weaving Sector (last census: Top 5%).