The Free Republic of Last Utopia is a gargantuan, genial nation, notable for its daily referendums, ban on automobiles, and restrictive gun laws. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful, devout population of 26.437 billion Utopians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The medium-sized, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Social Policy. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of New Utopia. The average income tax rate is 85.9%.
The large but stagnant Utopistic economy, worth 565 trillion yangs a year, is highly specialized and led by the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Book Publishing, and Gambling. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 21,401 yangs, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.7 times as much as the poorest.
The government has cut its subsidies for all special interest groups, the new hit series "Last Utopia's Got Trauma" has corporate executives fleeing the country, the government has undertaken a massive education and health program to combat VODAIS, and schools have extensive counseling programs for troubled students. Crime is totally unknown. Last Utopia's national animal is the tiger, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity: 17 days ago
- 4 hours ago: Last Utopia was ranked #1 in the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments (last census: Top 1%).
- 3 days 14 hours ago: Last Utopia was endorsed by The Armed Republic of Carausmia.
- 5 days ago: Last Utopia was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 1%).
- 6 days ago: Last Utopia was ranked #1 in the region for Largest Information Technology Sector (last census: Top 1%).
- 6 days ago: Last Utopia was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Liberal Democratic Socialists".
- 7 days ago: Last Utopia fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Developed.
- 11 days ago: Last Utopia was endorsed by The Constitutional Monarchy of Wido Banks.
- 14 days ago: Last Utopia was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Godforsaken.
- 14 days ago: Last Utopia was ranked #1 in the region for Most Godforsaken.
- 28 days ago: Last Utopia fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Rebellious Youth.
Endorsements Received: 22 » --Camila--, Zdravstvuite, Zyonn, Romosia, Trawa, The Citizens Commonwealth, Liuchong, Bvriania, Stabilitatem, Sedgistan, Unibot III, Hemingford, Marrow Wind, Keefenstein, Eight Hippopotamuses, Loftegen, The tiny dot, Luso Empire, Golarion, FranLuxIn, Avirum, and Carausmia.