The Commonwealth of Laan is a colossal, safe nation, remarkable for its complete lack of prisons, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and daily referendums. The compassionate, hard-working, democratic population of 6.213 billion Laanians hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The large, outspoken government is primarily concerned with Education, although Environment, Welfare, and Social Policy are also considered important, while Spirituality receives no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Laan. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 87.1%.
The powerhouse Laanish economy, worth 808 trillion Commonwealth Dollars a year, is quite specialized and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Tourism, and Furniture Restoration. Average income is an impressive 130,080 Commonwealth Dollars, with the richest citizens earning 6.7 times as much as the poorest.
The Smalltopian embassy doubles as an electoral campaign headquarters, one-stop superstores divide and conquer family businesses, passionate nomination battles are often as intense as general elections, and the once prosperous capital is in utter decline. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Laan's national animal is the Lizard, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry and the Top 5% for Safest and Healthiest Citizens.
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Secular.
- : Laan's influence in Balder rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Foreign Aid Spending.
- : Following new legislation in Laan, the once prosperous capital is in utter decline.
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry.
- : Laan's influence in Balder rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Compassionate Citizens.
- : Laan's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Information Technology Sector, Nicest Citizens, Most Cultured, Most Developed, and Largest Welfare Programs.