The Commonwealth of Laan is a colossal, efficient nation, remarkable for its keen interest in outer space, daily referendums, and parental licensing program. The compassionate, hard-working, democratic population of 6.058 billion Laanians hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The large, outspoken government is primarily concerned with Education, although Environment, Welfare, and Social Policy are also considered important, while Spirituality isn't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Laan. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 85.8%.
The powerhouse Laanish economy, worth 798 trillion Commonwealth Dollars a year, is quite specialized and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Tourism, and Furniture Restoration. Average income is an impressive 131,793 Commonwealth Dollars, with the richest citizens earning 9.1 times as much as the poorest.
The government is using tax revenues to provide jobs for the poor, the Smalltopian embassy doubles as an electoral campaign headquarters, one-stop superstores divide and conquer family businesses, and passionate nomination battles are often as intense as general elections. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Laan's national animal is the Lizard, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Laan's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Following new legislation in Laan, passionate nomination battles are often as intense as general elections.
- : Laan altered its national flag.
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Eco-Friendly Governments, Longest Average Lifespans, Most Popular Tourist Destinations, Least Corrupt Governments, and Largest Publishing Industry.
- : Laan's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Laan was refounded in Balder.
- : Laan ceased to exist.
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Furniture Restoration Industry.
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Pacifist.
- : Laan was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Publishing Industry.