The Empire of Koharu is a massive, genial nation, ruled by Emperor Haruto IV with an even hand, and notable for its national health service, daily referendums, and restrictive gun laws. The compassionate population of 2.618 billion Koharuans have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Sakura-Shi. The average income tax rate is 91.5%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The very strong Koharuan economy, worth 184 trillion Yen a year, is quite specialized and led by the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Book Publishing, and Automobile Manufacturing. Average income is 70,649 Yen, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
CEOs and corporate executives are frequently found striking for better stock options, students and teachers are regularly stopped and searched for symbols of religious affiliation before class, the government has declared its commitment to multilateralism, and oil executives can be seen reluctantly cleaning oil-soaked birds. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Koharu's national animal is the Iriomote Cat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Shintoism.
Most Recent Government Activity: 8 days ago
- 23 hours ago: Koharu was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Least Corrupt Governments (last census: Top 10%).
- 1 day ago: Koharu was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Least Corrupt Governments.
- 9 days ago: Koharu fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Influential.
- 11 days ago: Koharu fell out of the regional Top 10% for Longest Average Lifespans.
- 18 days ago: Koharu fell out of the world Top 10% for Largest Public Sector.
- 21 days ago: Koharu lodged a message on the 10000 Islands Regional Message Board.
- 23 days ago: Koharu was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Welfare Programs.
- 25 days ago: Koharu fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 27 days ago: Koharu lodged a message on the 10000 Islands Regional Message Board.
- 28 days ago: Following new legislation in Koharu, oil executives can be seen reluctantly cleaning oil-soaked birds.