The Babelic Meritocracy of Ko-oren is a colossal, safe nation, ruled by President Akiranar Nembus with an even hand, and renowned for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, ban on automobiles, and keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, democratic, humorless population of 9.46 billion Ko-orenites are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ko-oren City. The average income tax rate is 98.8%.
The large but underdeveloped Ko-orenian economy, worth 634 trillion Koronas a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 67,101 Koronas, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Betting pennies on games of Go Fish is considered deviant, libraries are bulldozed to make way for internet cafés, wind farms are erected on shuttered oil platforms, and Ko-oren has one of the largest offshore wind farms in the world. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Ko-oren's national animal is the Dragonfly, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Ko-orenite Animism.
Ko-oren is ranked 73rd in Atlantian Oceania and 101,192nd in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates, scoring 36 on the Workforce Participation Versus Theoretical Maximum Metric.
Most Recent Government Activity: 2 days 8 hours ago
- 3 days 6 hours ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 5%).
- 9 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Influential.
- 17 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Highest Police Ratios (last census: Top 5%).
- 21 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry.
- 23 days ago: Ko-oren's influence in Atlantian Oceania rose from "Duckspeaker" to "Envoy".
- 36 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 38 days ago: Ko-oren fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Godforsaken.
- 52 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Rebellious Youth.
- 54 days ago: Ko-oren fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- 57 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Devout.