The Babelic Meritocracy of Ko-oren is a colossal, safe nation, ruled by President Akiranar Nembus with an even hand, and remarkable for its complete lack of prisons, punitive income tax rates, and restrictive gun laws. The compassionate, democratic, humorless population of 9.33 billion Ko-orenites are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ko-oren City. The average income tax rate is 99.1%.
The large but underdeveloped Ko-orenian economy, worth 624 trillion Koronas a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 66,979 Koronas, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Betting pennies on games of Go Fish is considered deviant, libraries are bulldozed to make way for internet cafés, wind farms are erected on shuttered oil platforms, and Ko-oren has one of the largest offshore wind farms in the world. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Ko-oren's national animal is the Dragonfly, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Ko-orenite Animism.
Most Recent Government Activity: 6 hours ago
- 2 days 12 hours ago: Ko-oren's influence in Atlantian Oceania rose from "Duckspeaker" to "Envoy".
- 14 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Subsidized Industry.
- 16 days ago: Ko-oren fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Godforsaken.
- 30 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Rebellious Youth.
- 32 days ago: Ko-oren fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- 35 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Devout.
- 61 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Income Equality (last census: Top 5%).
- 64 days ago: Ko-oren lodged a message on the Atlantian Oceania Regional Message Board.
- 66 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Income Equality (last census: Top 5%).
- 79 days ago: Ko-oren fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Authoritarian.