The Babelic Meritocracy of Ko-oren is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by President Akiranar Nembus with an even hand, and notable for its keen interest in outer space, restrictive gun laws, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, humorless population of 10.026 billion Ko-orenites are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ko-oren City. The average income tax rate is 99.0%.
The large but stagnant Ko-orenian economy, worth 397 trillion Koronas a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 39,605 Koronas, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Betting pennies on games of Go Fish is considered deviant, libraries are bulldozed to make way for internet cafés, wind farms are erected on shuttered oil platforms, and Ko-oren has one of the largest offshore wind farms in the world. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Ko-oren's national animal is the Dragonfly, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Ko-orenite Animism.
Most Recent Government Activity: 71 minutes ago
- 4 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Best Weather (last census: Top 5%).
- 8 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Inclusive.
- 22 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Compassionate Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 53 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Dedicated Public Healthcare (last census: Top 5%).
- 63 days ago: Ko-oren's influence in Atlantian Oceania rose from "Envoy" to "Diplomat".
- 78 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans (last census: Top 5%).
- 90 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Welfare Programs (last census: Top 10%).
- 92 days ago: Ko-oren fell out of the world Top 1% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 92 days ago: Ko-oren fell out of the regional Top 5% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 99 days ago: Ko-oren was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements (last census: Top 5%).